After several years in New York practicing with a large corporate law firm, Jason and his wife chose to move their family south – to North Carolina’s Research Triangle Park – where they preferred to raise their four boys, and where Jason knew he could continue a sophisticated corporate/transactional practice working alongside some of the largest companies in the world. That was over twenty years ago – amazing how fast time passes.
Over the years, Jason has worked with public and private companies of all shapes and sizes. As co-leader of the firm's Corporate team, Jason helps our clients raise money, acquire other companies and business lines, negotiate contracts and navigate tricky areas of corporate governance. At Smith Anderson, we believe that the only way to truly become part of the client team is to take the time to learn about our clients’ businesses and the people who run them – being part of the team – that’s what Smith Anderson is all about.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association
- Member, Board of Directors, Hoyas Unlimited (Alumni Support Organization for Intercollegiate Athletics), Georgetown University
- Tri-President of Diamond Club (Alumni Support Organization for Baseball), Georgetown University
- Interviewer, Alumni Admissions Program, Georgetown University
- Member of, and Secretary to, the Board of Directors of the North Wake County Baseball Association
- Co-Chair, Associate Training, Smith Anderson
- Member, Opinions Committee, Smith Anderson
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers®, Securities/Capital Markets Law (2017-2021), Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law (2019-2021)
- North Carolina Super Lawyers (2010-2013)
- North Carolina Super Lawyers Rising Star (2009)
- Martindale Hubbell AV Preeminent Rated
- Represented a Nasdaq-listed bank holding company in a public offering of subordinated notes for aggregate proceeds of $350 million.
- Represented a Nasdaq-listed bank holding company in a public offering of depositary shares representing interests in preferred stock for aggregate proceeds of $345 million.
Represented a North Carolina bank and its parent on an approximately $220 million merger with another bank, which offered a higher price than the bank’s existing merger agreement with another company.
Advised a leading provider of patient affordability, access, adherence, and support services in a definitive agreement to acquire a healthcare information management software company.
Advised a multinational Fortune 500 provider of product development and integrated healthcare services in its merger with a NYSE-listed global information and technology services company, creating a leading information and tech-enabled healthcare service provider. The equity market capitalization of the joined companies was more than $17.6 billion at closing.
- Represented a publicly traded company and leading provider of end-to-end spend management solutions in its sale of the company to a leading technology-focused private equity firm for approximately $509 million.
- Represented privately held distributor and supplier of original automotive equipment and aftermarket replacement products in its merger with a publicly traded leading provider of automotive aftermarket parts and accessories in a transaction valued at $2.04 billion.
- Advised a private equity-backed medical device repair services company in the sale of its wholly-owned operating subsidiaries to a strategic buyer operating in the medical device repair services industry.
- Represented a leading supplier of aggregates and heavy building materials in its $420 million sale of its California cement business.
- Represented the special committee of a publicly traded bank holding company in connection with its $645 million acquisition of another bank holding company.
- Represented a publicly-traded bank holding company in its acquisition by another publicly-traded financial institution in a transaction valued at approximately $127 million.
- Advised a leading provider of drone technology for the enterprise in the purchase of assets of multiple companies, including a professional drone pilot network company, a provider of analytics tools and machine vision software for renewable energy, a drone service provider focused on critical infrastructure inspections, and a provider of turnkey inspection services for construction, building information management (BIM) and real estate.
- Advised a disruptive technology provider of microfabricated radio frequency (RF) products in its sale to a publicly traded provider of integrated solutions for transportation and defense.
- Represented a multinational insurance holding company and its subsidiary in the sale of a subsidiary’s business administering third party self-insured workers compensation programs.
- Represented a global provider of biopharmaceutical development services and commercial outsourcing services in its acquisition of a U.S.-based bioanalytical lab company.
- Represented a global provider of biopharmaceutical development services and commercial outsourcing services in its acquisition of strategic healthcare marketing initiatives company.
- Represented a global provider of biopharmaceutical development services and commercial outsourcing services in its sale of ex-U.S. packaging assets.
- Represented a global provider of biopharmaceutical development services and commercial outsourcing services in a joint venture with a large pharmaceutical service company to conduct an interactive voice response business.
- Represented a leading provider of open source enterprise IT products and services in its acquisition of a provider of open source integration and messaging.
- Represented a global pharmaceutical contract manufacturing and development company in connection with registration of outstanding shares with U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Represented a major convenience store chain in connection with the refinancing of outstanding debt.
- Represented a special committee of large public bank holding company in connection with repurchase of outstanding shares from large stockholder.
- Advised an enterprise storage management company in its sale to a private equity sponsor.
News & Publications
- The Deal | American Banker | Law360, 10.16.2020
- 2021 Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Recognize Largest Group of Smith Anderson Lawyers in Firm’s HistoryThe 2021 Best Lawyers®, 08.20.2020
- Smith Anderson Leads “Best Lawyers®” Rankings with 71 Recognized Lawyers and 11 “Lawyers of the Year” - Most of Any Raleigh Law FirmThe Best Lawyers in America©, 08.20.2019
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.15.2018
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.15.2017
- 2017 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Recognizes 62 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.15.2016
- Smith Anderson Represents General Parts International in $2.04 Billion Merger with Advance Auto Parts03.18.2014
- NYSE and NASDAQ Listing Rules for Compensation Committees | Scheduled to Take Effect as Early as July 1, 201306.12.2013
- Co-Presenter, "Preparing for the Upcoming 10-K and Proxy Season," Securities Law Breakfast Series, N.C. Biotechnology Center, Durham, N.C. and Smith Anderson Offices, Raleigh, N.C.12.2019
- Panelist, "Navigating the Sale of a Healthcare Services Business: Northfield Medical," ACG Deal Crawl Conference (September 2017)
- “Best Practices in Due Diligence” at the North Carolina Bar Association Business Law Institute (February 2017)
- Co-Presenter, "Is It Material?", Securities Law Breakfast Series (November 2015)
- Panelist, "State of the Markets - Economic Rebound or Short-Term Abberation?", Deloitte/Smith Anderson Breakfast Program (May 2013)