Darrell A. Fruth helps clients navigate issues with law and technology. He assists companies of all sizes with developing, protecting and exploiting rights in intellectual property. He has extensive patent experience, having addressed legal issues with inventions in a diverse range of fields, including software, microscopy, semiconductors, consumer products, mobile communications and pharmaceuticals. He focuses his practice on technology transactions.
Prior to joining Smith Anderson in 2018, Darrell practiced at law firms in San Francisco and Raleigh.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Patent attorney registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Former Chair, Intellectual Property Section of the North Carolina Bar Association (2016-2017)
- Former Board Member, Bull City Forward, a non-profit advancing social entrepreneurship
- Former Board Member, Watts Hillandale Neighborhood Association
- Volunteer (coach, judge and school-wide coordinator) for elementary Odyssey of the Mind program
- Co-taught the Duke Law School Start-Up Ventures Clinic (2015-2017), supervising students on a broad range of transactional services to early-stage entrepreneurs
- Taught Environmental Law survey course at Elon Law School (2009-2011)
- Designed and taught undergraduate Philosophy course at the University of Nevada (2001)
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Trademark Law (2018-2020), Litigation - Intellectual Property and Trade Secrets Law (2020)
- Business North Carolina Legal Elite (2017-2018)
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Rising Star (2012)
- University of California Regents Fellow
- President, Chi Epsilon Honor Society, MIT
As an associate in San Francisco, Darrell argued a successful pro bono civil rights case to the federal court of appeals for the Ninth Circuit. The resulting opinion has been cited in decisions by judges more than 2,000 times.
- Transactional experience preparing, reviewing and negotiating a wide range of agreements, including license agreements, master service agreements, software-as-a-service contracts, service level agreements, confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements and joint development agreements.
- Counseling and compliance experience on a wide range of technical and legal issues, including privacy, data protection and data breach issues, patent and trademark strategy, and compliance with complex regulations and industry guidelines.
- Industry experience as a former environmental engineer and software developer and having written and worked on a range of sustainability and Clean Technology issues.
- Represented a specialty pharma company in its acquisition of a pharmaceutical product to treat dermatological indications.
News & Publications
- Smith Anderson Leads “Best Lawyers®” Rankings with 71 Recognized Lawyers and 11 “Lawyers of the Year” - Most of Any Raleigh Law FirmThe Best Lawyers in America©, 08.20.2019
- Precision BioSciences Inks Strategic Collaboration with Gilead Sciences Valued at Up to $445 Million09.18.2018
- Smith Anderson Strengthens its National Technology Transactions Practice with the Addition of Darrell Fruth05.02.2018
- Weapons Emerging to Take Up Against Trolls09.2014National Law Journal
- Touby or not Touby: The Constitutional Question When Congress Authorizes State and Local Governments to Legislate the Contours of Federal Criminal Law201444 Environmental Law Reported 10072
- Adjusting Carbon Management Policies to Encourage Renewable, Net-Negative Projects Such as Biochar Sequestration201036 William Mitchell Law Review 992
- Note, Economic and Institutional Constraints to Privatizing Government Information Technology Services200013 Harvard Journal of Law & Technology
- Co-Speaker, "The Intellectual Property Year in Review: Trade Secrets," NCBA Intellectual Property: Ready for the New Decade CLE, Charlotte, N.C.04.05.2019
- Moderator, “Digitizing Reality: AR: VR, and the Future of the Entertainment Industry,” Duke University 7th Annual Sports and Entertainment Law SymposiumDurham, N.C., 2017
- Speaker, “Start-Up Ventures: What’s Law Got to Do With It?” Greensboro HQ IncubatorGreensboro, N.C., 2016
- Panelist, “Identifying, Protecting and Managing Intellectual Property,” North Carolina Bar Association’s Business Law InstitutePinehurst, N.C., 2016
- Moderator, “How to Identify and Contract with a Cloud Services Provider That You Can Truly Trust,” ABA Intellectual Property RoundtableRaleigh, N.C., 2016
- Speaker, “Keeping it Legit: Legal Issues for Enterprising Artists,” Southern Entrepreneurship in the Arts ConferenceGreensboro, N.C., 2014
- Speaker, “Responding to Patent Trolls,” UNC Festival of Legal LearningChapel Hill, N.C., 2014
- Speaker, “Legal Developments Affecting Green Building: From Cap-and-Trade to Stimulus Grants, U.S. Green Building Council’s Commercial Real Estate Sustainable ForumGreensboro, N.C., 2010
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina
- Yale Law School, J.D., 2000
- University of California at Berkley, M.S., Environmental Engineering, 1995
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, B.S., Environmental Engineering Science, 1994
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Howard D. McKibben, U.S. District Court for Nevada