Amelia Serrat concentrates her practice in the areas of business litigation and products liability. She has experience litigating claims for breach of contract, unfair trade practices, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and other business-related claims. In addition, she defends manufacturers, distributors, and insurers of consumer, automotive, and industrial products.
While attending law school, Amelia completed an internship with Chief Judge Solomon Oliver, Jr. of the Northern District of Ohio.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Member, North Carolina Bar Association
- Member, Wake County Bar Association
- Public Service Committee
- Member, North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
- Children’s Group Facilitator, InterAct of Wake County
- Community Council Member, Junior League of Raleigh
Honors & Awards
- Symposium Editor, North Carolina Journal of Law and Technology
- Pro Bono Coordinator, Domestic Violence Action Project
- Vice President, Women in Law
- Honor Court Member, Undergraduate Honor System
- Represented a closely-held company and its majority members in a conversion, breach of fiduciary duty, tortious interference, and unfair trade practices lawsuit before the North Carolina Business Court. Obtained a temporary restraining order and favorable settlement following expedited mediation.
- Defended former director of insolvent corporation against claims for breach of contract, fraud, and unjust enrichment brought by corporation’s supplier, who also attempted to pierce the corporate veil to hold director individually liable for claims against corporate entities. Obtained pre-discovery dismissal of all claims in federal court, which was affirmed on appeal by the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
- Represented an internet marketing company in bringing trade secret and breach of contract claims against a public company for misappropriating trade secrets and misusing confidential information obtained during due diligence for a potential business transaction. Obtained preliminary and permanent injunctions barring the defendant from using our client’s confidential information or engaging in wrongful competition.
- Represented a venture capital firm and two of its principals in a defamation action against a once-anonymous individual.
- Defended a major automotive distributor in a warranty and consumer protection lawsuit. Obtained summary judgment in trial court and dismissal of appeal by the North Carolina Court of Appeals.
- Defends national manufacturers and retailers of asbestos-containing products in toxic tort lawsuits brought in North Carolina and South Carolina.
- Defends global component manufacturer of an agent used to extinguish certain fires in multidistrict litigation involving claims for alleged personal injuries, property damage, and environmental contamination.
- Provides strategic risk management advice and negotiates settlements of pre-litigation disputes in a broad range of matters including disputes involving complex contracts, software license agreements, consumer warranties, and non-compete and trade secret issues.
- Represents commercial landlords and management companies in enforcement of property rights.
- Assists clients in responding to government and third-party subpoenas and public records requests.
News & Publications
Bar & Court Admissions
- All North Carolina State Courts
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Middle, and Western Districts of North Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
University of North Carolina School of Law, J.D., with honors, 2015
University of North Carolina, B.A., English and Women’s Studies, 2012
- Buckley Public Service Scholar