Raleigh, N.C. – Chambers USA, one of the leading ranking agencies for law firms and lawyers, announced that 21 Smith Anderson lawyers have earned high recognition and honors from the publication in its 2014 edition. This year, a Firm partner is honored with the prestigious “Star Individual” ranking in the category of Real Estate: Zoning/Land Use law. In addition, the Firm has more lawyers recognized within the practice of Corporate/Mergers & Acquisitions than any other North Carolina-based law firm.
Practice Area Rankings
Each year, Chambers USA publishes a national guide that ranks law firms and lawyers by conducting independent research obtained from clients, peers and members of the business community. Smith Anderson received the highest honors (Band One) among North Carolina’s leading law firms in the category of Corporate/Mergers & Acquisitions law for the seventh consecutive year. Chambers USA also honored Smith Anderson with recognition for the following practice areas: Banking & Finance, Environment, Labor & Employment, Litigation: General Commercial, and Real Estate.
During the research process, Chambers USA spoke with clients and peers about our Firm and we were fortunate to receive the following reviews:
- "Enough firepower and expertise to take care of issues, but small enough that you get to know all the senior people."
- "The response time to any inquiry placed by us is immediate. The attorneys at this firm are all easy to speak to, understanding, compassionate to their clients ..."
- "There hasn't been a time they didn't address our concerns and answer our questions. We need somebody we can turn to and we are supremely confident in them."
In the publication’s individual lawyer rankings, Lacy Reaves received its prestigious “Star Individual” rating for receiving exceptional recommendations in the field of Real Estate: Zoning/Land Use law. Clients who were interviewed during the research process noted that "he is very inventive in coming up with solutions," also stating that "he is so effective at getting things done."
Chambers USA’s highest band rating (Band One) is awarded to lawyers who the publication assesses through client and peer feedback as demonstrating exceptional technical legal ability, professional conduct, client service, commercial astuteness, diligence and commitment to the client. The following Smith Anderson lawyers were honored with a Band One rating this year:
- John Jernigan (Corporate/Mergers & Acquisitions), according to Chambers USA, “is praised for his commercially driven style, with one interviewee attesting that ‘he is a business adviser even before he is an attorney.’ Also of note is ‘his ability to understand the business issues, looking at things through my eyes as opposed to purely legal eyes,’ relates another client.”
- Kimberly Korando (Labor & Employment) was described by clients as "very effective," adding that "her direct style and approach make working through the issues manageable and practical."
- Gerald Roach (Corporate/Mergers & Acquisitions) is reported by clients and peers as “a truly excellent lawyer who has good business acumen. He provides good advice and has sound judgment."
The following is a full list of Smith Anderson’s lawyers who are honored as being among the nation’s leading attorneys in the 2014 Chambers USA guide:
Banking & Finance
Corporate/Mergers & Acquisitions
- Martin Brinkley
- Christopher Capel
- Timothy Goettel
- John Jernigan
- Byron Kirkland
- Gerald Roach
- Margaret Rosenfeld
Labor & Employment
Litigation: General Commercial