Melissa Schluter is an attorney with Smith Anderson’s Real Estate practice. Prior to joining Smith Anderson, Melissa worked for international law firms, where she practiced structured finance and real estate law, with a focus on representing commercial mortgage-backed securities lenders, mortgage loan servicers and Freddie Mac loan servicers entering into securitized transactions and servicing loans through maturity. She has also represented clients in securitization transactions, including collateralized loan obligations, leveraged loan warehouse facilities, structured lending and asset-backed securities transactions.
Melissa enjoys cooking, reading, attending live music shows, hiking and spending time outdoors. She is fluent in Afrikaans.
Areas of Focus
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch® in America
- Banking and Finance Law (2023-2024)
- Securities/Capital Markets Law (2023-2024)
- University of North Carolina School of Law, J.D., with high honors, 2015
- Contributing Editor, North Carolina Journal of International Law, 2015
- Vice President, Environmental Law Project, 2013-2014
- UNC Chapel Hill, B.A., with highest distinction, 2012
- Phi Beta Kappa
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina
Publications & Alerts
The Obvious Solution to Unsustainable Palm Oil: Why Nat'l Enforcement Remains A Necessary Mechanism Despite the Emergence of Alternate Regulatory Schemes, 40 N.C. J. Int'l L. & Com. Reg. 1085 (2015)