Lee Strasburger represents life sciences and AgTech companies in complex, mission-critical transactions.
Leveraging his background as a registered patent attorney, Lee advises on structuring and negotiating business arrangements related to the discovery, development, supply, and commercialization of agricultural biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, diagnostics, and medical devices. He counsels his clients with respect to a wide range of agreements, including options, licenses, service agreements, and collaboration and partnering agreements, to maximize the value of his client’s assets and best align with their strategic goals. In addition, he helps with a broad range of other transactions related to intellectual property, including technology and asset acquisition, drug discovery, joint ventures, strategic alliances, sponsored research, material transfer, clinical trials, manufacturing and supply/distribution arrangements, and marketing/promotion deals.
Lee joined Smith Anderson after practicing in the Boston office of a global technology law firm. Outside of the office, Lee enjoys cooking, skiing, and scuba diving.
Areas of Focus
- Pro Bono All-Star, Georgia Bar Journal (2015, 2018)
- Pro Bono Medal, Emory University School of Law
- Articles Editor, Emory International Law Review
- TI:GER Program Certificate in Intellectual Property, Emory University School of Law
- Forever Duke Award Winner, Duke University (2010)
- Law Clerk to the Honorable M. Cindy Morris, Superior Courts of Georgia
- Emory University School of Law, J.D., with honors, 2013
- Order of the Coif
- Duke University, B.A. in Chemistry and English, with distinction, 2010
- Alumni Endowed Undergraduate Scholar
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
- Volunteer, American Brittany Rescue
- National Board Member, Duke Young Alumni Development Council
- Interviewer (past director, Atlanta Metro West), Duke Alumni Admissions Advisory Council
Prior to joining Smith Anderson, Lee:
- Advised a global generics company on its $750M acquisition of an injectables portfolio in Europe.
- Guided a cancer therapeutics company on its $160M collaboration with a global pharmaceutical company.
- Advised a Nasdaq-listed pharmaceutical development company in the acquisition of a specialty dermatology company for up to $51 million in up-front and contingent consideration.
- Assisted a gene therapy company in the restructuring of its API supply chain.
- Counseled a publicly-traded wearables company on its $18M collaboration with a global technology company.
- Facilitated the $40M divestiture of a topical veterinary pharmaceutical.
- Drafted and negotiated agreements to facilitate research and development of crop health and crop protection technologies, as well as technologies such as biologics and small-molecule drugs.
- Extracted technologies from various public and private universities on behalf of emerging companies through negotiation of practical and workable patent and technology licenses.
- Negotiated a COVID-19 test kit supply and collaboration agreement between two leading testing and laboratory equipment companies to help bring testing to households nationwide.
- Prosecuted trademark and patent applications.
- Provided advice and assistance with respect to the $60M sale of a cancer-diagnostic platform by a public research and diagnostics company.
Represented a private equity fund in its acquisition of a leading digital patient recruitment company.
- Precision BioSciences Announces Gene Editing Collaboration with Novartis to Develop Potential Cure for Certain Blood Disorders
- Speaking EngagementCo-Presenter, "Law School for the CFO," CFO Leadership Council Roundtable and Happy Hour, Raleigh, N.C.
- Smith Anderson Added Six Associates in 2020
Events & Programming
- Co-Presenter, "Law School for the CFO," CFO Leadership Council Roundtable and Happy Hour, Raleigh, N.C.Speaking Engagement