Walter Rogers joined Smith Anderson after practicing corporate law with one of the largest law firms in Atlanta, Georgia, and corporate, tax, and fiduciary law at an international firm in Charlottesville, Virginia. His principal practice areas are Taxation, Trusts and Estates, Mergers and Acquisitions, and Tax-Exempt Organizations.
Walter regularly represents a variety of clients in matters involving federal, state and local taxation and in business transactions with tax implications. He is regularly involved with tax planning for businesses, individuals, trusts and estates, as well as with resolving tax controversies and advising tax-exempt organizations in matters of formation and operation. His practice also includes assisting individuals with estate planning and advising executors, trustees and beneficiaries in matters of estate and trust administration. His work in business transactions involves not only acquisitions and dispositions of business enterprises, but also assisting corporations, partnerships and limited liability companies with matters of formation and operation. He has written and lectured on various tax subjects including partnership taxation, tax-free exchanges, mergers and acquisitions, tax-exempt organizations, and estate and trust planning and administration.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Business Law, Tax and Estate Planning and Fiduciary Law Sections
- Chair, Tax Section (2000-2001)
- Wake County Bar Association
- Wake County Estate Planning Council
- Director, A. J. Fletcher Foundation, Raleigh, North Carolina (1988-1996)
- Director and Past Chairman, The Food Bank of Central and Eastern North Carolina, Inc.
- Director, Holiday Trails, Inc., Charlottesville, Virginia (1981-1986)
- Director, Piedmont Council of the Arts, Inc., Charlottesville, Virginia (1981-1983)
- Director and President, Philharmonic Association, Inc., Raleigh, North Carolina (2002-2005)
- Director, Raleigh Chamber Music Guild, Raleigh, North Carolina (2009-2012)
- Director, Wake County Communities in Schools, Raleigh, North Carolina (1991-1999)
- Director, WakeMed Foundation
- Director, Holy Michael Foundation
Honors & Awards
- Fellow, American College of Trust and Estate Counsel
- Chambers and Partners: High Net Worth, Private Wealth Law (2017-2022)
- Best Lawyers®, Non-Profit/Charities Law, Tax Law, Trusts & Estates (2006-2022)
- Best Lawyers®, "Lawyer of the Year," Tax Law (2015)
- Business North Carolina Legal Elite, Tax/Estate Planning (2002, 2008-2011)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rated
- North Carolina Super Lawyers (2019, 2006-2017, 2020-2022)
- Senior Lecturing Fellow, Duke University School of Law (2011-2013)
- Advised purchasers and sellers on tax aspects of purchases and sales of businesses, including tax-free reorganizations and transactions involving asset-purchase elections under IRC § 338(h)(10).
- Successfully defended taxpayers against proposed assessments by federal and state tax authorities involving issues including charitable contribution deductions, cost recovery deductions, and compensation deductions.
- Planned and implemented organization of LLC's for investment and operating businesses.
- Successfully defended tax-exempt organizations against IRS challenges to their exempt status.
- Advised individual and business clients on complex charitable planning techniques including conservation easements, private foundations, supporting organizations, and charitable trusts.
- Advised business owners on tax and business law aspects of succession planning.
- Planned and implemented tax-advantaged gifts of interests in closely-held corporations, partnerships and LLC's and real estate.
- Counseled fiduciaries on the administration of complex, taxable estates.
- Prepared wealth transfer documents (wills, trust instruments and related conveyance documents) for high-net worth individuals including business owners, private investors and executives of public companies.
- Assisted clients in securing state and local government incentive awards for business relocation and business expansion.
- Provided tax advice to a global LED lighting and semiconductor manufacturing company in connection with its agreement to sell $850 million of assets to a publicly traded German company. The parties terminated the sale before closing due to regulatory considerations.
News & Publications
- Best Lawyers® and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Recognizes 98 Smith Anderson Attorneys in Latest PublicationBest Lawyers®, 08.18.2022
- 2022 Chambers High Net Worth Guide Recognizes Smith Anderson’s Trusts and Estates Practice in Private Wealth Law Chapter07.29.2022
- North Carolina Super Lawyers® Selects Largest Class of “Rising Stars” in Firm’s Recent History – 32 Lawyers Recognized in All!Super Lawyers, 01.13.2022
- Hitting a New Milestone - 100 Members of Smith Anderson’s Legal Team Recognized by Best Lawyers® and Best Lawyers: Ones to WatchBest Lawyers, 08.19.2021
- Smith Anderson's Trusts and Estates Practice Again Recognized by Chambers High Net Worth Guide in Private Wealth Law ChapterChambers High Net Worth Guide, 08.05.2021
- North Carolina Super Lawyers® Selects 23 Smith Anderson Lawyers as 2021 Super Lawyers and Nine Additional Lawyers as Rising StarsSuper Lawyers, 01.15.2021
- 2021 Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Recognize Largest Group of Smith Anderson Lawyers in Firm’s HistoryThe 2021 Best Lawyers®, 08.20.2020
- Chambers High Net Worth Guide Recognizes Smith Anderson's Trusts and Estates Practice in Private Wealth Law Chapter for the Fourth Consecutive YearChambers and Partners: High Net Worth, 07.16.2020
- North Carolina Super Lawyers® Selects 24 Smith Anderson Lawyers as 2020 Super Lawyers and Nine Additional Lawyers as Rising StarsSuper Lawyers, 01.22.2020
- Smith Anderson Leads “Best Lawyers®” Rankings with 71 Recognized Lawyers and 11 “Lawyers of the Year” - Most of Any Raleigh Law FirmThe Best Lawyers in America©, 08.20.2019
- Chambers and Partners: High Net Worth Guide Continues to Recognize Smith Anderson's Trusts and Estates Practice in Private Wealth Law ChapterChambers and Partners: High Net Worth, 07.22.2019
- North Carolina Super Lawyers Recognizes Forty Smith Anderson Lawyers as Super Lawyers and Rising Stars in 2019Super Lawyers, 01.24.2019
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.15.2018
- Chambers and Partners: High Net Worth Guide Recognizes Smith Anderson's Trusts and Estates Practice in Private Wealth Law ChapterChambers and Partners: High Net Worth, 07.23.2018
- Smith Anderson’s Trusts and Estates Practice Recognized in Private Wealth Law Chapter of Chambers and Partners: High Net WorthChambers and Partners: High Net Worth, 09.15.2017
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.15.2017
- Super Lawyers, 01.20.2017
- 2017 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Recognizes 62 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.15.2016
- 2016 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Lists 60 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.17.2015
- Smith Anderson Announces 49 of its Firm Lawyers are Named a “Best Lawyer” by The Best Lawyers in America® 201308.29.2012
- Smith Anderson Attorney Walter Rogers Elected as a Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel04.02.2012
- Walter Rogers’s Article “Contribution of Appreciated Property to a Partnership: More Than Just a Nice Credit to the Capital Account” is published in The Practical Tax Lawyer02.07.2011
- Walter Rogers’s article “Valuation for Gift Tax Purposes: It Ain’t Over Till It’s Over” Published by NCBA Periodical01.06.2011
- “Contribution of Appreciated Property to a Partnership: More Than Just a Nice Credit to the Capital Account”02.07.2011The Practical Tax Lawyer
- Valuation for Gift Tax Purposes: It Ain't Over Till It's Over - The Will and the Way (2010)2010
- 08.24.2009The Practical Tax Lawyer
- Speaker, "Legal Ethics for Lawyers as Directors of Non-Profit Corporations,” N.C. Bar Association Foundation’s So You’ve Joined the Board—Now What? Non-Profit Governance for Lawyers02.2017
- Speaker, "Advising Clients on Charitable Planning Options," N.C. Bar Foundation's 2014 Advanced Estate Planning Survey Course, Cary, N.C.05.2014
- Speaker, "Buy-Sell Agreements: Variety, Utility and Taxation," N.C. Association of Certified Public Accountants, 73rd Annual Symposium11.2012
Bar & Court Admissions
- All North Carolina State Courts
- All Virginia State Courts
- All Georgia State Courts
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
Stanford University, J.D., 1977
Duke University, B.A., summa cum laude, 1974
- Phi Beta Kappa