Steve Sartorio joined the firm in 1981 and has experience in all phases of civil litigation, including trial court and appellate representation. Steve spends the majority of his time and has significant experience in right-of-way and easement negotiation and acquisition and in condemnation cases representing municipalities and public utilities as well as individual property owners. In addition, Steve represents insurance companies and trucking companies in cases involving serious personal injury, coverage issues and allegations of bad faith or unfair and deceptive trade practices.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association
- International Right of Way Association (IRWA)
- Transportation Lawyers Association
- North Carolina Transportation Association
- Certified mediator
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers®, Eminent Domain and Condemnation Law, Litigation - Insurance (2014-2021)
- Best Lawyers® "Lawyer of the Year," Litigation - Insurance (2017)
- Represented electric utilities in cases involving the acquisition and condemnation of transmission line easements.
- Represented a municipality in condemning easements for a new sewer system.
- Represented a natural gas company obtaining easements for natural gas pipelines.
- Represented an insurance carrier in a selection/rejection form case wherein the insured claimed that the policy provided the injured insured with $1 million in under-insured motorist coverage.
- Represented an insurance carrier in a "short-pay" case involving payments made for windshield glass repairs on behalf of hundreds of insured.
- Represented a developer in a case involving a dispute over the establishment of ground rent pursuant to a lease entered into 30 years ago.
News & Publications
- 2021 Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Recognize Largest Group of Smith Anderson Lawyers in Firm’s History08.20.2020
- Smith Anderson Leads “Best Lawyers®” Rankings with 71 Recognized Lawyers and 11 “Lawyers of the Year” - Most of Any Raleigh Law FirmThe Best Lawyers in America©, 08.20.2019
- 2017 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Recognizes 62 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.15.2016
- 2016 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Lists 60 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.17.2015