Robby Desmond is a trial and appellate lawyer with more than 10 years of experience trying cases in state and federal courts. He has extensive experience managing litigation, including commercial litigation, construction disputes and professional liability actions. In addition, Robby regularly advises clients regarding complex business disputes and risk management issues.
Prior to joining Smith Anderson, Robby served on active duty as an officer in the U.S. Army Judge Advocate General’s Corps (JAG), 2000-2004 and as a law clerk to the Honorable Henry Coke Morgan, Jr., United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, 2004-2006.
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers®, Medical Malpractice Law - Defendants (2020-2021)
- Reporter, North Carolina Pattern Jury Instructions Civil Law Subcommittee, 2014-Present
- Listed, North Carolina Super Lawyers Rising Star, Business Litigation, 2009
- Defended an emergency room doctor at trial in a case alleging medical malpractice and wrongful death. Defense verdict obtained after a two-week trial.
- Prosecuted a declaratory judgment action on behalf of an insurance company to determine the availability of $1,000,000 of coverage under a commercial insurance policy. Obtained summary judgment and defended the judgment on appeal to the North Carolina Court of Appeals. Summary judgment in favor of the insurance company was affirmed.
- Defended a surgeon at trial in a case alleging medical malpractice. Defense verdict obtained after a two-week trial.
- Defended an ob-gyn at trial in a case alleging medical malpractice. Defense verdict obtained after a two-week trial.
- Defended a motorcycle manufacturer in a case alleging warranty and consumer protection claims. Served as first chair counsel in one-week trial resulting in a verdict in favor of the manufacturer and an award of costs.
- Represented a motorist at trial in a case alleging motor-vehicle negligence. Defended judgment in client’s favor on appeal to the North Carolina Court of Appeals, with the judgment being affirmed.
- Argued an appeal involving a violation of the Fourth Amendment before the United States Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces. Obtained reversal of the decision of the lower appellate court that violation of the service member’s Fourth Amendment rights was harmless error.
- Defended numerous felony cases on behalf of U.S. Army soldiers.
News & Publications
- 2021 Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Recognize Largest Group of Smith Anderson Lawyers in Firm’s History08.20.2020
- Smith Anderson Leads “Best Lawyers®” Rankings with 71 Recognized Lawyers and 11 “Lawyers of the Year” - Most of Any Raleigh Law FirmThe Best Lawyers in America©, 08.20.2019
- Robert E. Desmond Selected to Serve as Reporter for the North Carolina Pattern Jury Instructions Civil Law Subcommittee08.06.2014
- Presenter, “Pattern Jury Committee Update - Civil," UNC School of Government's North Carolina Superior Court Judges' Conference, Wilmington, N.C.06.21.2019
- Presenter, “Overview of Civil Pattern Jury Instructions," North Carolina Superior Court Judges' Conference, Cherokee, N.C.06.2017
Bar & Court Admissions
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of North Carolina
- All North Carolina State Courts
Washington and Lee University, J.D., 2000
Duke University, B.A., 1997