Matthew Lenora joined Smith Anderson in 2013. His practice focuses on a broad range of corporate and transactional areas of law including start-ups, technology, venture capital, securities, private equity, and mergers and acquisitions.
Prior to Smith Anderson, Matt practiced independently and served as outside general counsel to emerging and mature businesses in a wide range of industries including consumer products, sports-science, logistics, healthcare and technology. While in law school, he was a summer associate for a national technology and life sciences firm in California’s Silicon Valley. During that time, he represented start-up companies, from inception to acquisition. He counseled clients in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, venture capital, securities, and licensing. In addition, Matt gained client-side experience while participating in a secondment program at Jasper Wireless where he worked alongside its General Counsel on corporate governance matters.
Matt's Master of Laws degree in Law and Entrepreneurship from Duke University focused on legal issues surrounding start-ups and broadened his understanding of the inner workings of emerging business.
When Matt is not advising clients, he is actively involved in the community. His particular passions are coaching basketball and volleyball, as well as promoting, supporting local teams and clubs and playing volleyball throughout the state of North Carolina through his local organization, Hang 10 Volleyball.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association
- Lecturing Fellow in the Start-Up Ventures Clinic at Duke Law School, 2017-2018
- Lecturing Fellow during Wintersession at Duke Law School, 2015-2016
- Owner, Hang 10 Volleyball, LLC, 2016-Present
- YMCA Volunteer Basketball Coach
- Director and Organizer, 8th Annual Spike for a Cause Charity Volleyball Tournament, 2013
- Participant, Duke Start-up Challenge, 2010-2011
- Assistant Volleyball Coach, Voyager Academy, 2011
- President, Transfer Student Group, 2009-2010
- Wrongful Convictions Clinic, 2009-2010
- Duke Club Volleyball Team, 2009-2011
- Sports and Entertainment Law Society, 2008-2011
- Represented a public company on tender offer and S-4 filing. Led disclosure and diligence requirements for a subsequent competing tender offer.
- Represented an early stage technology company in Series A financing.
- Represented a client in negotiations of a sports-science consulting agreement with a professional sports team.
- Represented a client in employment contract negotiations for a strength and conditioning coaching position with a Major League Soccer (MLS) team.
- Managed outside international counsel in an international labor law dispute on behalf of a client.
- Represented a client in the negotiation and formation of services contracts with the client’s state-of-the-art sports-performance training facility.
- Assisted with a contract dispute of a client’s profit sharing plan providing analysis of tax, contract and securities law.
- Drafted and provided strategic implementation of policies and procedures for a large logistics company to comply with Department of Transportation requirements.
- Assisted Duke University Athletics Department with the analysis of international contracts and licensing agreements with the men’s basketball team's "Friendship Games" in China.
- Assisted a client with Smith Anderson’s first 506(c) financing.
- Assisted a client with a Title III (Regulation Crowdfunding) financing.
- Provide on-going representation to international private equity funds in connection with multiple investments.
- Assisted in the formation of an angel investment fund.
- Provide on-going representation to an angel fund in connection with multiple local investments.
- Represented a client in a cross-border asset purchase.
- Assisted a client in a $5,000,000 Series A financing.
- Represented a client in a $6,000,000 merger transaction.
News & Publications
- ABC Television Network, 12.20.2018
- bioMASON Producing Environmentally Kind Bricks That are Revolutionizing the Building and Construction Industry—Receives $1.5 Million Investment02.24.2016
- Author, “The New Regulatory Regime: Boardroom Implications of Executive Compensation Issues: Say-on-Pay” (white paper)
Events & Webinars
- Lecturing Fellow, Duke University School of Law’s Start-Up Ventures Clinic, Durham, N.C.2017-2018
- Panelist, "Benefits of Being the First-Check," Seed the South Investor Symposium & Startup Pitch Competition," Charlotte, N.C.01.09.2019
- Co-Presenter, “Legal Issues Facing Start-Ups,” N.C. State PackStart Workshop, Raleigh, N.C.11.14.2016
- Lecturing Fellow, “Early-Stage Financing: The Emergence of Crowdfunding,” Duke University School of Law, Durham, N.C.01.2016
- Lecturing Fellow, “Early-Stage Financing: The Emergence of Crowdfunding,” Duke University School of Law, Durham, N.C.01.2015
- Guest Judge, "Transactional Law Competition", Duke University School of Law, Durham, N.C.11.07.2014
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina
Duke University School of Law, LL.M., Entrepreneurship and Law, 2011
Duke University School of Law, J.D., 2010
University of Oklahoma, B.B.A., Entrepreneurship, highest honors, 2006
- Dean’s List