Jeb Jeutter practices bankruptcy law with a particular emphasis on corporate restructuring and reorganization. Jeb advises clients on their business needs and opportunities, and has represented businesses of all sizes in reorganizations and workouts. His experience includes representing debtors, creditors, trustees, creditors’ committees and receivers.
Jeb is certified by the North Carolina State Bar Board of Legal Specialization as a Specialist in both business and consumer Bankruptcy Law, and has served as a Chapter 7 and 11 Trustee in North Carolina for many years.
Prior to joining Smith Anderson, Jeb was a solo practitioner for over 10 years. Before that, Jeb was a partner in the Raleigh office of a large international law firm and served in London as the firm’s European Managing Partner.
Specialist in Bankruptcy Law (Business) and Bankruptcy Law (Consumer), North Carolina State Bar Board of Legal Specialization,
Superior Court Mediator, North Carolina Dispute Resolution Commission
Registered Foreign Lawyer (England and Wales), Solicitors Regulation Authority
Professional & Community Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- 10th Judicial District of North Carolina
- Trustee, United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
- Chapter 11 (1991-Present)
- Chapter 7 (1991-2004)
- Board Member, Finance Committee, Executive Committee (at large), College of William & Mary Alumni Association (2017-Present)
- Board of Trustees, William Peace University (2008-2018)
- Elder, White Memorial Presbyterian Church
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers®, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law (2003-2022)
- North Carolina Super Lawyers (2007-2021)
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Top 100 Lawyers (2016-2017)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rated
- Business North Carolina's Legal Elite, Bankruptcy
- Hall of Fame since 2011
- New Hanover County Pro Bono Program Pro Bono Publico Award (2010-2011)
- Business Leader Magazine Pro Bono Impact Award (2008)
- Mississippi College School of Law Lawyer of the Year (2007)
- Represented RTP-based pharmaceutical company in orderly liquidation of assets.
- Represented medical complex in Eastern North Carolina in Chapter 11, and subsequent re-financing.
- Represented Florida-based owner and operator of 69 full-service restaurants in its Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
- Represented major, regional airline in its Chapter 11 bankruptcy and subsequent negotiations with other airlines.
- Represented a publicly traded telecommunications company in its Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
- Represented national lender in negotiation of debtor in possession financing for a major, regional retailer.
- Represented private equity fund in several multi-million dollar acquisitions of troubled and Chapter 11 companies.
- Negotiated multi-year sponsorship between US based youth soccer league and major English football club on a pro bono basis.
- Successfully assisted a multi-state healthcare/hospice chain to Chapter 11 plan confirmation and implementation.
- Incorporated and formed subsidiary of Danish corporation specializing in point of care diagnostic products for veterinary use.
- Represented major automobile parts manufacturer based in Gurgeon, India in its U.S. insolvency.
- Represented aggregates supplier in Chapter 11 of regional residential developer.
- Acted as receiver of a multi-million dollar ophthalmic practice, and a regional manufactured housing company at the request of the North Carolina Justice Department.
- Acted on behalf of regional and national bank and insurance companies and creditors.
- Assisted regional car dealer with out of court restructuring.
- Acted on behalf of Chapter 11 Trustee for cigarette manufacturer, and represented all natural and organic tobacco company in its sale to one of the top three cigarette manufacturers in the world.
- Represented creditors’ committee in Chapter 11 of regional land fill.
- Actively representing residential and commercial builders and developers in loan workout situations.
News & Publications
- Hitting a New Milestone - 100 Members of Smith Anderson’s Legal Team Recognized by Best Lawyers® and Best Lawyers: Ones to WatchBest Lawyers, 08.19.2021
- North Carolina Super Lawyers® Selects 23 Smith Anderson Lawyers as 2021 Super Lawyers and Nine Additional Lawyers as Rising StarsSuper Lawyers, 01.15.2021
- Triangle Business Journal, 10.01.2020
- 2021 Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Recognize Largest Group of Smith Anderson Lawyers in Firm’s HistoryThe 2021 Best Lawyers®, 08.20.2020
- Triangle Business Journal, 06.08.2020
- Published by WRAL, The News & Observer, Triangle Business Journal, CBS, Winston-Salem Journal, Goldsboro News-Argus, 11.15.2019
- Triangle Business Journal, 07.31.2019
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina
- Georgetown University, LL.M., Securities Regulation, 1987
- Mississippi College School of Law, J.D., 1985
- College of William & Mary, B.A., 1982
- Judicial Clerk to the Honorable Roy Noble Lee, Jackson, Mississippi