Irina advises life sciences and technology clients engaging in commercial transactions involving intellectual property, including technology licensing, research and development collaborations, mergers and acquisitions and other strategic commercial transactions.
Irina’s experience assisting clients with technology transactions includes:
AgBio and AgTech: Research, development, licensing and acquisition transactions, trait development and licensing and data-driven precision agriculture.
Pharma: Research, development, licensing, supply, distribution and acquisition transactions for multiple therapeutic areas.
- Technology: Development, distribution, supply, licensing and acquisition transactions involving food processing, medical device development and chemical supply.
Irina also advises clients on data use, privacy and security, including the development and implementation of data privacy and security programs, data breach response policies, and managing related risks and obligations.
Prior to joining Smith Anderson, Irina was an associate attorney in a large Boston-based law firm. Prior to that, Irina was a law clerk to the honorable Judge Timothy Tymkovich, United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit in Denver, Colorado.
Honors & Awards
- Editor-in-Chief, Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy, Volume 36
- Online Digest Contributor and Editor, Harvard Journal of Law and Technology, 2010-2011
- Advised managed care organization in negotiating software subscription service agreement for health management platform and related content.
- Advised an international contract research organization in development of master services agreement for Phase I-IV clinical trial services.
- Advised a contract research organization in negotiating master clinical trial agreements and related confidentiality arrangements.
- Advised an international health care group in license and collaboration agreement with a pre-clinical biopharmaceutical company for delivery of enzyme-based therapeutics.
- Advised a public biopharmaceutical company in research collaboration related to development and commercialization of three dimensional bioprinted organ scaffolds.
- Advised an international health care group in an agreement to acquire worldwide patent rights and related intellectual property for two cardiovascular drugs from a world leader in biopharmaceutical business.
- Advise companies engaged in research, collaboration, licensing and development agreements ranging from human therapeutics to row plant crop applications and specialty crop applications.
- Advise biotechnology companies in license and research and development collaborations related to genetic engineering technologies.
- Advise university spin-outs in licensing foundational technology from universities such as Duke University, Duquesne University, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and North Carolina State University.
News & Publications
- Client Elo Life Systems Partners with Dole Food Company to Develop Banana Varieties Resistant to Devastating Fungal Disease08.11.2020
- Food Tech Company Pairwise Partners with PSI to Produce New Varieties of Raspberries and Blackberries04.17.2020
- Precision BioSciences Inks Strategic Collaboration with Gilead Sciences Valued at Up to $445 Million09.18.2018
- Smith Anderson Strengthens its National Technology Transactions Practice with the Addition of Darrell Fruth05.02.2018
- My Company Can be Sued Where?: Supreme Court Resolves Some Questions of Where Businesses May Be Sued for Patent Infringement but Leaves Others Unsettled08.28.2017Seed World
- The Death of Merger Litigation Part II – The North Carolina Business Court Puts a Nail in the Coffin12.06.2016
- Co-Author, "DTSA’s Promise of Uniformity Remains Unfilfilled," Law36006.15.2016
- Co-Author, "The Slants’ Trademark Battle Plays On," Law36004.05.2016
- Co-Author, "Ariosa v. Sequenom Signals Trouble Ahead for Life Sciences," Law36011.03.2015
- Author, "Maintaining the Clear and Convincing Evidence Standard for Patent Invalidity Challenges in Microsoft Corp. v. i4i Limited Partnership, 131 S. Ct. 2238 (2011)," HARV. J.L. & PUB. POL’Y 439 (2012)2012
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina
- Eastern District of North Carolina
- Middle District of North Carolina
- Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Federal Circuit Court of Appeals
- District of Massachusetts
- Harvard Law School, J.D., 2013
- Stanford University, B.A., International Relations, with distinction, 2009
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Firestone Medal for honors thesis
- Chambers of Judge Timothy Tymkovich, United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit