Dewey’s practice is focused on representing banks, financial institutions and fintech ventures in connection with mergers, finance transactions, securities matters and corporate governance. In addition to financial institutions, Dewey has also advised private equity firms and public companies on acquisitions, reorganizations and activist investor defense across a variety of industries.
Originally from Raleigh, Dewey is an Eagle Scout, an avid snowboarder and a huge animal lover. During law school, Dewey interned at regional appellate courts, including the Fourth Circuit and North Carolina Court of Appeals, and assisted the special counsel to the United States Senate Judiciary Committee in relation to Justice Neil Gorsuch’s Supreme Court confirmation proceedings. Prior to joining Smith Anderson in 2020, Dewey practiced in the financial institutions group in the New York office of a global law firm.
NOT LICENSED TO PRACTICE IN NORTH CAROLINA.
Professional & Community Affiliations
New York Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- Articles Editor, North Carolina Law Review
- Gressman-Pollitt Award for Oral Advocacy
Prior to joining Smith Anderson, Dewey:
- Represented a Puerto Rican bank holding company in its $1.2 billion all-cash acquisition of the regional operations of a major international bank.
- Represented a NASDAQ-listed financial holding company in an approximately $400 million series of regional bank acquisitions along the northeast corridor.
- Represented an electronic trading platform in its $13 billion acquisition by a major Wall Street bank.
- Represented private equity fund in its $80 million acquisition of a non-bank consumer financial lender.
- Represented specialty insurance holding company in its transformational acquisition of crop insurance underwriter to create one of the largest domestic and international providers of agricultural insurance.
- Represented a consortium of investors in their joint investment in an end-to-end online proxy voting platform with a presence in the UK and Israel.
- Represented a private, closely-held food and pet-care conglomerate in its tax-driven international reorganization.
- Represented the controlling family of a closely-held international chemicals corporation in its analysis of strategic options and early stage auction process.
- Represented a major Wall Street bank in its bid for the North American operations of a payment processor and financial services provider following the parent’s bankruptcy.
- Represented a company in the largest corporate dissolution in Delaware history.
- Conducted a strategic assessment of a Fortune 500 company’s unsolicited bid and activist preparedness plan, including assisting in the overhaul of internal policies and procedures.
- Represented an international private equity fund in its successful auction bid for a tech-enabled fashion brand marketed towards young professional women.
News & Publications
Kerala and the Indian Federal System: Restriction and Response, 9 EXPLORATIONS 114 (2014)
Bar & Court Admissions
- New York
- University of North Carolina School of Law, high honors, J.D., 2018
- Order of the Coif
- Class Rank: 3rd
- University of North Carolina at Wilmington, cum laude, B.A. in History and Political Science, 2015
- Calhoun Prize for Outstanding Historical Research
- Honors Societies in History and Political Science