Derek Sutton is a commercial litigator whose practice encompasses a wide range of civil litigation, including contract and commercial disputes, antitrust, intellectual property, mergers and acquisitions, employment, and business-related tort and statutory claims.
Derek joined Smith Anderson after practicing for several years in the New York office of a leading national law firm.
NOT LICENSED TO PRACTICE IN NORTH CAROLINA
Prior to joining Smith Anderson, Derek:
- Represented several inter vivos trusts challenging the constitutionality of the District of Columbia’s imposition of fiduciary income tax.
- Defended a medical device manufacturer in federal multidistrict litigation involving an alleged conspiracy violating federal and state antitrust laws.
- Represented a chemical manufacturer in an ICC arbitration to resolve a commercial dispute regarding a Site Services Agreement.
- Represented a corporation before the North Carolina Business Court in a bench trial concerning statutory appraisal claims made by dissenting shareholders.
- Assisted in drafting a settlement agreement to resolve a global, multi-billion dollar dispute between leading technology companies involving breach of contract, tortious interference, antitrust and patent claims.
- Defended a cellular technology company in federal court in a bench trial involving allegations of anticompetitive conduct relating to standard-essential patent licensing and cellular modem chip sales practices.
Bar & Court Admissions
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
New York University School of Law, J.D., 2017
- Robert McKay Scholar
- Dean’s Award Scholar
University of Michigan, B.A., 2012
- Phi Beta Kappa