Heath Tripp focuses his practice on corporate law, mergers and acquisitions, and finance. He advises clients on general corporate matters, strategic acquisitions and divestitures, debt and equity transactions, and commercial contracting issues. Heath represents private and public companies ranging from early stage start-ups to Fortune 500 companies in various industries such as health care, private equity, technology, insurance, entertainment, and travel.
Prior to his legal career, Heath earned a business degree and worked in the corporate group of a multinational bank.
Outside of the office, Heath and his bride are blessed to be the parents of four young boys (and their golden retriever). Among other things, he enjoys playing golf, discovering barbeque joints in North Carolina and beyond, and teaching his sons how to play sports and fish.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association
- Board of Directors, Neighbor to Neighbor
- Leadership Raleigh, Class 39
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers®, "Ones to Watch," Mergers and Acquisitions Law (2021-2022), Banking and Finance Law (2022)
- Order of the Coif
- Editorial Board, Wake Forest Law Review
- Moot Court Board
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Represented a company specializing in video game and software development in a definitive agreement to acquire a company that developed a presence-based social networking platform connecting users online through live video on mobile and desktop apps.
- Advised a global contract research organization and drug development services company in a definitive agreement to acquire a provider of decentralized and traditional clinical trial-related services.
- Advised a leading travel management company in a definitive agreement to acquire a corporate and leisure travel company.
- Advised a global contract research organization and drug development services company in a definitive agreement to acquire a provider of mobile-connected self-service platform solutions for decentralized clinical trials.
- Represented a leading contract research organization in a definitive agreement to acquire a provider of contract research, clinical and regulatory and other consulting services.
- Advised a leading customer relationship management technology company in its merger with and into a subsidiary of a private equity-backed developer of all-in-one sales productivity technology.
- Represented a leading travel management company in multiple strategic acquisitions, including its purchase of the assets of a Canadian travel management company.
- Represented one of the largest providers of community-based intellectual and/or developmental disability services in definitive agreements to acquire other providers of support and services to help individuals with development and physical disabilities.
- Represented a leading healthcare services provider in the $60 million cash acquisition of a global sourcing company.
- Represented a publicly traded supplier of aggregates and heavy building materials in the sale of a cement business for $420 million.
- Represented a specialty pharma company in its acquisition of a pharmaceutical product to treat dermatological indications.
- Represented a private scientific research, systems engineering, and design company in its purchase of a consulting firm.
Private Equity Transactions
- Represented a leading small business investment company in the formation of a $400 million investment fund.
- Represented private equity clients as mezzanine lenders in connection with debt and equity financings, including first lien, second lien, and unitranche debt investments, in the defense, healthcare, wellness, golf, food, and entertainment industries.
General Corporate and Other Significant Transactions
- Represented start-up companies in various industries including technology, healthcare and financial services in the drafting of organizational documents, debt documents (including venture debt and convertible notes), equity financing documents, and commercial contracts.
- Represented a global provider of biopharmaceutical development services and commercial outsourcing services in its $1.1 billion initial public offering and listing on the New York Stock Exchange.
News & Publications
- Hitting a New Milestone - 100 Members of Smith Anderson’s Legal Team Recognized by Best Lawyers® and Best Lawyers: Ones to WatchBest Lawyers, 08.19.2021
- 2021 Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Recognize Largest Group of Smith Anderson Lawyers in Firm’s HistoryThe 2021 Best Lawyers®, 08.20.2020
- Published by WRAL, The News & Observer, Triangle Business Journal, CBS, Winston-Salem Journal, Goldsboro News-Argus, 11.15.2019
- We’re Still Waiting: When Will the SEC Lift the Ban on General Solicitation and Advertisements for Rule 506 and 144A Offerings?01.01.2013
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina
- Wake Forest University, J.D., cum laude, 2012
- Wake Forest University, Calloway School of Business and Accountancy, B.S., 2006