Tim Goettel handles complex acquisitions and divestitures across a range of industries, advises clients on significant corporate governance matters, and represents issuers in public and private offering and financing transactions. He also works on insurance guaranty association matters.
Tim has worked in the energy, financial services and information technology industries, among others. In the course of his transactional practice, he has worked with other practice areas to resolve a wide range of issues, including international tax matters, antitrust concerns, open source software and other intellectual property rights issues, employee benefits and tax issues involved in spinning companies out of controlled groups, complicated transition service arrangements, and regulatory approvals and related contractual allocation of risks and responsibilities. Tim also provides general counsel advice in connection with insurance guaranty association matters.
Prior to joining Smith Anderson, Tim practiced for 24 years with Hunton & Williams in Raleigh.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, North Carolina Bar Association
- Past Director, Wake Education Partnership, Literacy Council of Wake County, and Builders of Hope, Inc.
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Corporate Law, Mergers & Acquisitions Law (2012-2017)
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Corporate/M&A (2008-2016)
- North Carolina Super Lawyers (2013-2017)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rated
- Represented a NYSE-listed energy company in a strategic alliance with an on-site power generation systems company to integrate an energy platform with smart storage solutions, including an initial 50 megawatt project involving distributed generation systems at over 150 sites
- Represented a leading international developer of video games and game engine software in significant minority investment by a Chinese internet company
- Represented the largest electric utility in the United States in multi-billion-dollar strategic merger and over $10 billion of public stock and debt offerings
- Advised a privately-held food processing technology company in an agreement to sell the assets of its two wholly-owned subsidiaries for $25 million in cash at closing with a $20 million cash earnout
- Represented a national consumer goods distributor in a management sponsored leveraged recapitalization and in subsequent acquisitions
- Represented a New York Stock Exchange listed company in the formation of a new publicly traded holding company to facilitate acquisitions and diversification
- Represented an internet technology company in acquisitions of several web sites and an India-based social networking software developer
- Represented an insurance guaranty association in connection with life and health insurer insolvencies and ongoing general counsel matters.
News & Publications
- Smith Anderson Clients Southern Company and PowerSecure Announce Strategic Alliance with Bloom Energy11.07.2016
- 2017 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Recognizes 62 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.15.2016
- 2016 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Lists 60 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.17.2015
- Smith Anderson Announces 49 of its Firm Lawyers are Named a “Best Lawyer” by The Best Lawyers in America® 201308.29.2012
- Chambers USA 2012 Distinguishes Twelve Smith Anderson Partners Among America’s Leading Lawyers for Business06.07.2012
- Chambers USA 2011 Recognizes Eleven Smith Anderson Partners Among America’s Leading Lawyers for Business06.15.2011
Events & Webinars
- Panelist, "Three-Handed Poker: Counseling the Various Constituencies in Leveraged Private Equity Acquisitions," 2015 Business Law Institute, Pinehurst, N.C.02.2015