Rebecca Brophy focuses her practice on corporate transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, financings, asset purchases and dispositions and strategic collaborations. Rebecca also regularly advises her clients on general corporate needs, strategic planning and corporate and board governance and compliance matters.
Rebecca represents public and private growth companies across diverse industry sectors as well as private equity and venture capital firms.
Prior to joining Smith Anderson, Rebecca practiced at the international law firm Paul Hastings LLP, in the private equity, mergers and acquisitions and securities and capital markets practice groups.
Rebecca serves on Smith Anderson's Diversity Committee.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Graduate of the Greater Raleigh Chamber of Commerce 29th Class Leadership Raleigh Program (2014)
- Grants Committee of the Board of Directors, Susan G. Komen for the Cure, San Diego, Calif. (2010-2012)
Honors & Awards
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Rising Star (2014-2017)
- Represented affiliated multidisciplinary engineering, investigation and construction companies in a sale of assets process involving multiple potential buyers, culminating in the sale of substantially all of their assets to a wireless network services company
- Represented a global financial services technology company in its acquisition of a leading provider of deal analytics and valuation technology
- Advised a SaaS company in its sale to a data integration public company
Advised a leading CRO in Asia in the acquisition of CRO assets in the United States
- Represented a major regional distributor of industrial gases in a strategic merger of equals of two similarly situated businesses
- Represented a public contract research organization in multiple acquisitions of private company strategic targets totaling approximately $500 million
- Represented a public telecommunications company in multiple acquisitions of private company strategic targets totaling approximately $750 million, including acquisitions in the United States, Colombia and Mexico
- Represented a public defense contractor in multiple acquisitions of private and public company strategic targets totaling approximately $500 million
- Represented a public information technology company in its sale valued at approximately $340 million
- Represented a private equity fund in its acquisition of a public health services company valued at approximately $250 million
- Represented venture capital funds in multiple financings of private companies, including companies in the biotechnology and fashion industries, totaling approximately $400 million
- Advised a publicly traded health services company in the acquisition of a health services division of a privately held company for $105 million in cash
- Represented a private biotechnology company in financings totaling approximately $50 million
- Represented multiple public and private companies in general corporate and governance matters including commercial agreements, board and committee advice and general corporate advice
- Represented a leading provider of pharmacy-based patient care solutions and medication synchronization services to independent and chain pharmacies in its approximately $41 million sale of the company to a publicly traded buyer
- Represented a global solid state LED lighting and semiconductor manufacturing company in a Hong Kong joint venture to sell mid-power lighting class LED packaged products
News & Publications
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina
University of San Diego School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 2006
- The Order of the Coif
The Catholic University of America, B.A., magna cum laude, 2001
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Judicial Extern for the Honorable M. Margaret McKeown of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals