Phil Tracy spent most of his career in the pharmaceutical industry. From 1974 to 1995, he was employed by Burroughs Wellcome Co. and served as its President and CEO from 1989 until 1995. Since 1996, he has been of counsel to Smith Anderson. He is also a Venture Partner with Intersouth Partners, an early stage venture capital firm, and serves on the Boards of several life science companies.
He received his Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Nebraska and his J.D. from George Washington University. He also completed the Senior Executive Program at Stanford University. Prior to joining Burroughs Wellcome in 1974, he practiced law with the Washington, D.C. firm of Steptoe & Johnson.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association
- Duke University Medical Center
- Board of Visitors (1993-2001)
- Chairman (1999-2001)
- Peace College
- Board of Trustees (1997-2005)
- Chairman (2001-2005)
- Board of Directors, Burroughs Wellcome Fund (1989-2000, 2001-present)
- Board of Directors, North Carolina Biotechnology Center (1998-2002)
- Board of Directors, North Carolina Science, Mathematics & Technology Education Center, Chairman (2004-present)