Administrative Law and Litigation: Mike Weddington has extensive experience providing counsel to licensed professionals having disciplinary or licensing issues with their professional licensing boards. He has represented certified public accountants, engineers, architects, general contractors, licensed professional counselors, lawyers and medical professionals in such matters. He served for 15 years as the retained general counsel to the North Carolina Medical Board, prior to the Board employing staff counsel, and has since provided counsel to many physicians, physician assistants and nurse practitioners in their dealings with the Medical Board. He has also litigated various public contract issues before North Carolina state agencies.
Construction Law and Litigation: Mike has handled a wide variety of construction matters, with a particular focus on payment and performance surety bond issues. He is a co-author of the chapter "Licensing of Construction Professionals" in the North Carolina Construction Law Deskbook published by the North Carolina Bar Association Foundation. He also has considerable experience with commercial insurance issues affecting the construction industry.
Contract Disputes and Commercial Litigation: Mike's commercial litigation experience includes the representation of organizations and individuals across the spectrum of commercial and business disputes, including breaches of contract, fraud and misrepresentation, breaches of duty, insurance coverage disputes, defense of claims under insurance policies, prosecution and defense of claims arising out of buying and selling of goods and services, and defense of claims based on commercial letters of credit. He also has substantial experience in Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) arbitration matters.
Intellectual Property Law and Litigation: Mike has handled the registration of hundreds of trademarks and service marks for many clients. He has also both prosecuted and defended infringement matters, including litigation before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. His experience also includes representing both plaintiffs and defendants in connection with intellectual property royalty claims.
Appellate Advocacy: Mike has served as lead counsel in dozens of appeals on a diverse array of subjects before the North Carolina Court of Appeals, North Carolina Supreme Court and United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
Active duty as a shipboard line officer in U. S. Navy, 1966-1970; followed by subsequent service in the active Naval Reserve with retirement in 2001 at the rank of Commander.
Mike is certified by the North Carolina Dispute Resolution Commission as a mediator and provides mediation services to parties involved in litigation in both the North Carolina Superior Courts and North Carolina federal courts. He is also a member of the national arbitration panel for the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) for the arbitration of securities industry disputes, including qualification as panel chair.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Judicial Performance Evaluation (JPE) Committee, 2014
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Chair, Administration of Justice Committee (2008-2010)
- North Carolina State Bar
- Chair, Board of Legal Specialization (2008-2011)
- Wake County/Tenth Judicial District Bar Association
- Member, Board of Directors (2003-2004)
- Member, Grievance Committee (1999-2005)
- Member, Fee Dispute Resolution Committee (1993-1999)
- Member, Holy Trinity Anglican Church
Honors & Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rated
- Participation as an arbitrator in more than 30 FINRA cases, including chairing 16 panels.
- Fifteen years as retained General Counsel for NC Medical Board
- Represented licensed professionals in disciplinary and licensing issues before various state licensing agencies, including NC Medical Board, NC State Board of Certified Public Accountant Examiners, NC State Board of Examiners for Engineers and Surveyors, NC Licensing Board for General Contractors, NC Board of Nursing, and NC Board of Licensed Professional Counselors
- Represented plaintiff inventors in obtaining $23 million settlement of claims against employer for patent licensing proceeds
- Represented national snack food manufacturer/distributor in obtaining $2.77 million judgment against a South American supplier for lost profits resulting from defective goods
- Represented an individual in obtaining $350,000 settlement of claim against a national pharmacy chain for mis-filling of a prescription, causing extended personal illness with increased risk of contracting leukemia
- Represented a national snack food manufacturer/distributor in obtaining U.S. and multiple foreign trademark registrations and enforcing such registrations
- Argument and/or briefing in more than 50 appeals in North Carolina appellate courts and U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
News & Publications
- Mike Weddington Appointed to North Carolina Bar Association Judicial Performance Evaluation Committee07.24.2014
- Smith Anderson Receives the 2012 North Carolina Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve “Pro Patria” Award04.10.2012
- Mike Weddington Receives Certificate of Appreciation for Service on the North Carolina State Bar Board of Legal Specialization11.02.2011
- Mike Weddington Appointed to the North Carolina Bar Association’s Young Lawyer Initiatives Task Force11.09.2010
Bar & Court Admissions
- All North Carolina State Courts
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of North Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
Duke University, J.D., 1973
University of Florida, B.S., 1963