Kara’s practice is focused in the areas of Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation. She represents public, private, governmental and non-profit employers in designing and documenting retirement plans, welfare benefit plans, fringe benefit plans and executive compensation plans.
Prior to joining Smith Anderson, Kara was an associate in the Raleigh office of a regional law firm. Previously, Kara was an intern for Justice Timmons-Goodson at the North Carolina Supreme Court. During law school, she was a merit scholarship recipient and a recipient of the 2010 Gressman-Pollitt Award for Oral Advocacy.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Board Member, Food Runners Collaborative, 2017-Present
- Board Member, Raleigh Kiwanis Foundation, 2016-Present
- President, Triangle Benefits Forum, 2016-Present
- North Carolina Bar Association, YLD Community Relations Committee, 2016-2017
- Board Member, Domestic Violence Action Project, 2010-11
- Member, Civil Legal Assistance Clinic, 2011-12
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Membership Committee, 2017-Present
- Wake County Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- Staff Member and Contributing Editor, North Carolina Law Review, 2010-2012
- Amending and restating qualified retirement plans to comply with the Pension Protection Act and other changes in the law.
- Advising employers regarding designing and administering benefits plans in compliance with the Internal Revenue Code and ERISA.
- Drafting and revising health and welfare plan documents and summary plan descriptions.
- Assisting employers with identifying and correcting plan errors through DOL and IRS compliance programs.
- Reviewing and amending executive compensation arrangements.
Advised a leading CRO in Asia on the employee benefits aspects of its acquisition of CRO assets in the United States.
- Advised a publicly traded health information technologies and clinical research company on the employee benefits aspects of its sale of a consulting line of business
News & Publications
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina
University of North Carolina School of Law, high honors, J.D., 2012
- Order of the Coif
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, with distinction, B.A. in Political Science, 2009
- Phi Beta Kappa