John Jo joined Smith Anderson in October 2006 after graduating with honors from Duke University Law School. He concentrates his practice in business-related litigation, representing clients in a variety of industries in matters such as contract disputes, commercial torts, insurance coverage and shareholder disputes.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Appointed Council member, Litigation Section (Present)
- Appointed Council member, Insurance Law Section (Present)
- Wake County Bar Association
- NC Healthy Start Foundation
- Member, Board of Directors
- Chair, Governance Committee
- Volunteer Lawyers Program, Legal Aid of North Carolina
- Volunteer Mentor, Boys and Girls Club of America (2012-2013)
Honors & Awards
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Rising Star (2012-2016)
- Hot List - Southern Region, Lawyers of Color, 2014
- Duke Law School Moot Court Board
- Notes Editor, Law and Contemporary Problems
- Defended soft drink bottler against claims for breach of an alleged long-term requirements contract brought by a cooperative of soft drink bottlers. The case was resolved by confidential settlement after a week-long trial in federal court for the District of South Carolina.
- Successfully defended lender in an action brought by guarantor on a series of construction and business loans in default, including alleged claims for breach of fiduciary duty, fraudulent concealment, and unfair and deceptive trade practices arising from lender’s alleged failure to uncover and disclose embezzlement by member of borrower. Court’s dismissal of guarantor’s lawsuit was affirmed by the North Carolina Court of Appeals.
- Successfully obtained an early dismissal of a lawsuit filed by a client’s former employee, asserting False Claims Act and tort claims based on allegations that the employee was constructively discharged for reporting an alleged theft of government property. The United States District Court in the Eastern District of North Carolina dismissed the lawsuit prior to discovery, and the Fourth Circuit unanimously affirmed dismissal after oral argument. The plaintiff petitioned for review by the United States Supreme Court, which was denied after the filing of a brief in opposition to the petition.
- Represented insurance company in coverage dispute with state guaranty association for over 40 claims originally insured by a third party insurer that became insolvent. Nearly half of the claims were dismissed in favor of our client on a pre-trial motion for judgment on the pleadings, and the remaining claims were resolved to the mutual satisfaction of the parties.
- Represented corporate insured in arbitration commenced by workers’ compensation carrier, seeking to collect significant disputed premiums under expired policies.
- Successfully defended survey research organization from claim alleging violation of the Telemarketing Sales Rule. Dismissal was affirmed by the North Carolina Court of Appeals.
News & Publications
- SafeguardingBusiness.com Serves as Resource for Businesses Looking to Better Protect Their Innovation and Information04.15.2014
- Fourth Circuit Holds that Motor Carrier has No Claim Under Federal Law Against Shipper for Unpaid Freight Charges11.14.2013
- Author, New ISO Forms for CGL Policies Seek to Exclude Coverage for Data Breaches, NC Bar Association Insurance Law Section Newsletter, Vol. II, No. 1, January 2015
- Author, Proximate Cause Theory Applied to Determine Number of Occurrences, Case Note, ABA Section of Litigation, Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee Website, March 11, 2013
- Author, Broker Owed No Duty to Explain Policy Terms to Insured, Case Note, ABA Section of Litigation, Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee Website, January 9, 2013
Events & Webinars
- Panelist, "Risks, Costs, Disputes and Litigation," NC Chamber and U.S. Chamber of Commerce's 2015 Cybersecurity Conference, Durham, N.C.12.2015
- Co-Presenter, "The Lifecycle of an Insurance Claim (With a Focus on D&O Insurance)," Smith Anderson's Executive Roundtable Series: Session I, RTP, N.C.03.2015
- Presenter, "You will be Hacked (If you Haven't Already)...," Joint Event Presented by The Research Triangle Park, Durham Chamber of Commerce and Smith Anderson, RTP, N.C.01.2015
- Panelist, "It's 2014 - You Will Be Hacked!," Joint Event Presented by The Research Triangle Park, Durham Chamber of Commerce and Smith Anderson, RTP, N.C.03.2014
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of North Carolina
- All State Courts in North Carolina
Duke University Law School, J.D., cum laude, 2006
Duke University, B.A., cum laude, 1996