Jason Martinez joined Smith Anderson in 1997, after several years practicing corporate, finance and securities law with Reid & Priest, L.L.P. in New York. Jason has broad experience representing public and private companies in general corporate and securities compliance matters, corporate finance (including public offerings and private placements), mergers and acquisitions and commercial contracts. He also advises companies and their directors and officers on corporate governance and other general corporate and business matters.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association
- Member, Board of Directors, Hoyas Unlimited (Alumni Support Organization for Intercollegiate Athletics), Georgetown University
- Tri-President of Diamond Club (Alumni Support Organization for Baseball), Georgetown University
- Interviewer, Alumni Admissions Program, Georgetown University
- Member of, and Secretary to, the Board of Directors of the North Wake County Baseball Association
- Co-Chair, Associate Training, Smith Anderson
- Member, Opinions Committee, Smith Anderson
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Securities/Capital Markets Law (2017-2018)
- North Carolina Super Lawyers (2010-2013)
- North Carolina Super Lawyers Rising Star (2009)
- Martindale Hubbell AV Preeminent Rated
- Advised a multinational Fortune 500 provider of product development and integrated healthcare services in its merger with a NYSE-listed global information and technology services company, creating a leading information and tech-enabled healthcare service provider. The equity market capitalization of the joined companies was more than $17.6 billion at closing.
- Represented a publicly traded company and leading provider of end-to-end spend management solutions in its sale of the company to a leading technology-focused private equity firm for approximately $509 million.
- Represented a publicly-traded and leading provider of end-to-end spend management solutions in its acquisition by a leading technology-focused private equity firm.
- Represented privately held distributor and supplier of original automotive equipment and aftermarket replacement products in its merger with a publicly traded leading provider of automotive aftermarket parts and accessories in a transaction valued at $2.04 billion.
- Represented a real estate micro-lending crowdfunding platform in qualification with the SEC and NASAA of Tier 1 Regulation A offering.
- Represented a leading supplier of aggregates and heavy building materials in its $420 million sale of its California cement business.
- Represented the special committee of a publicly traded bank holding company in connection with its $645 million acquisition of another bank holding company. The transaction was the largest bank holding company merger in the Southeast, and the third largest nationally, in 2014.
- Advised a private equity-backed medical device repair services company in the sale of its wholly-owned operating subsidiaries to a strategic buyer operating in the medical device repair services industry.
- Represented a global provider of biopharmaceutical development services and commercial outsourcing services in its acquisition of a U.S.-based bioanalytical lab company.
- Represented a global provider of biopharmaceutical development services and commercial outsourcing services in its acquisition of strategic healthcare marketing initiatives company.
- Represented a global provider of biopharmaceutical development services and commercial outsourcing services in its sale of ex-U.S. packaging assets.
- Represented a global provider of biopharmaceutical development services and commercial outsourcing services in a joint venture with a large pharmaceutical service company to conduct an interactive voice response business.
- Represented a publicly-traded and leading producer of construction aggregates in multiple acquisitions.
- Represented a leading provider of open source enterprise IT products and services in its acquisition of a provider of open source integration and messaging.
- Represented a global pharmaceutical contract manufacturing and development company in connection with registration of outstanding shares with U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Represented a major convenience store chain in connection with the refinancing of outstanding debt.
- Represented a major convenience store chain in connection with general corporate and securities compliance matters.
- Represented a global pharmaceutical contract manufacturing and development company in connection with general corporate and securities compliance matters.
- Represented a special committee of large public bank holding company in connection with repurchase of outstanding shares from large stockholder.
News & Publications
- 2017 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Recognizes 62 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.15.2016
- Smith Anderson Represents General Parts International in $2.04 Billion Merger with Advance Auto Parts03.18.2014
- NYSE and NASDAQ Listing Rules for Compensation Committees | Scheduled to Take Effect as Early as July 1, 201306.12.2013
Events & Webinars
- Co-Presenter, "Is It Material?", Securities Law Breakfast Series (November 2015)
- Panelist, "State of the Markets - Economic Rebound or Short-Term Abberation?", Deloitte/Smith Anderson Breakfast Program (May 2013)
- “Best Practices in Due Diligence” at the North Carolina Bar Association Business Law Institute (February 2013)