Jason Brege assists life sciences and technology companies in developing and commercializing their intellectual property and technology assets, through structuring and negotiation of research, development, licensing and other strategic collaboration and acquisition transactions. Jason has advised companies on billions of dollars' worth of transactions while at Smith Anderson, with particular emphasis on the agricultural biotechnology, pharmaceutical, software and technology industries. Recent highlights include his representation of a leading genome editing company in a $1.6 billion worldwide immuno-oncology partnership to develop allogeneic chimeric antigen receptor (CAR) T cell therapies. The transaction was awarded the 2016 Life Science sector Deals of Distinction™ award by the Licensing Executives Society. His breadth of experience with client technology transactions includes:
- AgBio and Ag-Tech: research, development, licensing and acquisition transactions ranging from genome editing to gene discovery, trait development and licensing, crop protection, plant-made pharmaceuticals, animal health and data-driven precision agriculture;
- Pharma: research, development, licensing, supply, distribution, co-promotion and acquisition transactions involving biologics, pharmaceuticals, genome editing and medical devices for therapeutic areas ranging from immuno-oncology to CNS disorders, dermatology, ophthalmology, cardiovascular and others;
- Software/Information Technology: development, distribution, resale, referral, licensing and acquisition transactions involving traditional software, software-as-a-service, mobile applications, database rights, medical imaging processing technology, GPS-as-a-service and open source;
- Technology: development, distribution, supply, licensing and acquisition transactions involving payment processing, media and telecommunications, power management technologies and LED lighting.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Business Law Section
- Intellectual Property Section
- Licensing Executives Society
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Co-Chairman of the Board of Directors, JusticeMatters, Inc.
Honors & Awards
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Rising Star (2016-2017)
- Virginia Law Review, Editorial Board
- Dillard Teaching Fellow in Legal Research and Writing
Jason has assisted clients in various mission-critical transactions, including the following representative matters:
- Lead counsel to a venture capital-funded genome editing company in a worldwide partnership, worth up to $1.6 billion, including an upfront payment of $105 million, with a global, publicly-traded pharmaceutical company to develop and commercialize allogeneic chimeric antigen receptor (CAR) T cell therapies for multiple cancers. The transaction was awarded the 2016 Life Science sector Deals of Distinction™ award by the Licensing Executives Society.
- Represented an international health care group and its U.S. specialty pharmaceutical company subsidiary in obtaining multinational license rights to three cardiovascular drugs from a large public pharmaceutical company for $264 million in cash at closing, up to $480 million in milestone and royalty payments, and the assumption of up to $50 million in milestone payment obligations.
- Represented a leading genome editing company in over a dozen research, collaboration, licensing and development agreements ranging from human therapeutics to row plant crop applications and specialty plant crop applications.
- Represented a private equity fund in its newly-formed portfolio company’s acquisition and in-license of rights to a commercial-stage biologic drug product from a Fortune 500 pharmaceutical company.
- Represented various biotechnology companies in over 40 technology licenses and research and development collaborations related to genetic engineering and trait development technologies, including transactions involving seven of the eight largest international agricultural companies in the world.
- Represented a public specialty pharmaceutical company purchaser in a $150 million reverse triangular merger with a private specialty pharmaceutical company.
- Represented a global specialty pharmaceutical company purchaser in multiple in-licenses, out-licenses and acquisitions of various pharmaceutical product lines from leading global pharmaceutical companies.
- Represented a venture capital funded agricultural biotechnology company in its acquisition by a public company buyer.
- Represented a global solid state LED lighting and semiconductor manufacturing company in connection with its $668 million stock acquisition of a manufacturer and distributor of commercial lighting products.
- Represented a global provider of biopharmaceutical development services and commercial outsourcing services in a multi-million-dollar transaction to exclusively license a database of de-identified health information and acquire related assets; provided strategic counseling for resulting business model to commercialize data analytics products and services.
- Represented a leading fuel pump supplier in establishing a technology, sales and service partnership with a leading payment system supplier to develop next-generation payment and media technologies for the retail petroleum industry.
- Represented a leading provider of pharmacy-based patient care solutions and medication synchronization services to independent and chain pharmacies in its approximately $41 million sale of the company to a publicly traded buyer.
- Represented a telecommunications company in intellectual property matters related to its acquisition by a private equity fund.
- Represented a software development and data analytics company in collaborative development agreements related to platform software solutions and licensing of algorithm and data processing technologies for the agriculture industry.
- Represented university start-ups in their exclusive in-licensing of various technologies from Duke University, University of North Carolina, University of California, Dartmouth College, Stanford University, East Carolina University and others.
News & Publications
- European Union Delegation Visits Smith Anderson to Discuss Foreign Direct Investment in the United States12.18.2017
- Genome Editing Client Precision BioSciences to be Awarded Prestigious Deal of Distinction™ Award at LES Annual Meeting10.17.2016
- Smith Anderson Advises Chiesi in Transaction to Acquire Three Cardiovascular Hospital Products for up to $792 Million06.22.2016
- Smith Anderson Advises Chiesi in Agreement to Acquire Three Cardiovascular Hospital Products for up to $792 Million05.12.2016
- My Company Can be Sued Where?: Supreme Court Resolves Some Questions of Where Businesses May Be Sued for Patent Infringement but Leaves Others Unsettled08.28.2017
- Taking Down Trademark Bullying: Sketching the Contours of a Trademark Notice and Takedown Statute10.10.201212 Wake Forest J. Bus. & Intell. Pro. L. 392
- An Efficiency Model of Section 363(b) Sales10.10.200692 Virginia Law Review 1639
Bar & Court Admissions
- All North Carolina State Courts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
University of Virginia, J.D., 2006
Vanderbilt University, B.A., 2002 Physics and Mathematics, magna cum laude
Phi Beta Kappa
- Clerked for Chief Judge Douglas O. Tice Jr. of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia