James is an associate in the Corporate group. He practices in the areas of securities law, corporate law and mergers and acquisitions.
After law school James clerked for the Honorable William L. Osteen, Jr., Chief Judge for the Middle District of North Carolina.
While attending the University of North Carolina School of Law, James served as Director of the UNC Law Pro Bono Program and as a Comment Editor of the North Carolina Law Review.
Prior to law school, James taught high school social studies for three years in Wake County, North Carolina.
Professional & Community Affiliations
Vice Chair and Secretary, Board of Directors, Activate Good
Chair, UNC Law Pro Bono Alumni Board
Member, Smith Anderson Community Fund
Member, Edenton Street United Methodist Church, Raleigh
Honors & Awards
Member, Order of the Golden Fleece
Member, James E. and Carolyn B. Davis Society at UNC Law
- Advised a multinational Fortune 500 provider of product development and integrated healthcare services in its merger with a NYSE-listed global information and technology services company, creating a leading information and tech-enabled healthcare service provider. The equity market capitalization of the joined companies was more than $17.6 billion at closing.
- Advised an investment company in a definitive agreement to purchase the outstanding equity interests of the largest independent blender and packager of lubricants to the automotive, agriculture, commercial and heavy duty markets in North America.
- Advised a specialty pharmaceutical company in the sale of a subsidiary to and its investment in a privately held specialty pharmaceutical company.
- Advised a UK-based drug development services organization in its acquisition of an expert clinical pharmacology business.
- Advised a private equity-backed medical device repair services company in the sale of its wholly-owned operating subsidiaries to a strategic buyer operating in the medical device repair services industry.
- Advises NYSE- and NASDAQ-listed public companies in various industries with respect to public disclosure and securities law compliance matters, NYSE and NASDAQ listing requirements, corporate governance, and general corporate matters.
News & Publications
- NC Lawyers Weekly, 01.25.2018
Events & Webinars
- Speaker, "UNC School of Law Pro Bono Program 20th Anniversary Celebration," UNC School of Law, Chapel Hill, N.C.09.2017
University of North Carolina, J.D., with high honors, 2014
- Order of the Coif
Wake Forest University, M.A., Education, 2008
University of North Carolina, B.A., with highest distinction, 2007
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Dean's List (eight semesters)
- Law Clerk to the Honorable William L. Osteen, Jr., Chief Judge for the Middle District of North Carolina