Dave Horne manages the Government Relations practice at Smith Anderson and leads a team of professionals in the firm’s Corporate Relocation and Expansion practice. Dave has spent nearly 30 years representing private interests – including many non-profit associations, medical groups and businesses – before the North Carolina General Assembly and other state and federal government entities. He has been rated in the top twenty of more than 700 lobbyists registered in the State by an independent survey of his peers, the press, and legislators conducted by the North Carolina Center for Public Policy Research Inc for more than a decade.
The scope of the Government Relations practice includes virtually any matter involving private interests and government. Smith Anderson’s Government Relations professionals specialize in advising clients on how to most effectively communicate with elected officials and others who make public policy decisions. Dave has extensive experience consulting successful political campaigns on media strategy, press relations and election law compliance issues.
Dave also advises clients expanding in or relocating to North Carolina about state and local economic development incentives. He has represented clients in many of the state’s largest economic development projects.
After receiving his BA with honors from Methodist University, Dave spent several years in business, returning to law school and receiving a J.D. from Campbell University with distinction. His law practice experience includes serving as Associate General Counsel and State Legislative Director for the North Carolina Farm Bureau Federation and its affiliated entities, which include the largest domestic property and casualty insurer in North Carolina. He also served as Director of Government Affairs for the North Carolina Bar Association for five years.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association
- Teach for America – Eastern North Carolina Advisory Board Chair (2006-2012)
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Administrative/Regulatory Law, Government Regulations Practice (2007-2018)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rated
Methodist University- Economics and Business Alumni Award (2003)
News & Publications
- 2017 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Recognizes 62 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.15.2016
- 2016 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Lists 60 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.17.2015
- Smith Anderson Announces 49 of its Firm Lawyers are Named a “Best Lawyer” by The Best Lawyers in America® 201308.29.2012