Dave Horne manages the Government Relations practice at Smith Anderson. This practice area includes and combines the knowledge and experience of a team of government relations professionals and the professional expertise of the firm’s lawyers. The scope of this practice includes virtually any matter involving private interests and government. Dave has spent the last 20 years representing private interests, including many non-profit associations, before the North Carolina General Assembly and other state and federal government entities. He has been rated in an independent survey of his peers, the press, and legislators conducted by the North Carolina Center for Public Policy Research Inc for more than a decade, in the top twenty of over 700 lobbyists registered in the State.
After receiving his BA with honors from Methodist College, Dave spent several years in business, returning to law school and receiving a J.D. from Campbell University with distinction. His law practice experience includes serving as Associate General Counsel and State Legislative Director for the North Carolina Farm Bureau Federation and its affiliated entities that include the largest domestic property and casualty insurer in North Carolina. He also served as Director of Government Affairs for the North Carolina Bar Association for five years.
Dave has had extensive experience in advising many successful political campaigns on media strategy, press relations and election law compliance issues. He leads a team at Smith Anderson specializing in advising clients on how to most effectively communicate their views on issues to elected officials and others who make public policy decisions impacting the firm’s clients.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Administrative/Regulatory Law, Government Regulations Practice (2007-2018)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rated
News & Publications
- 2017 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Recognizes 62 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.15.2016
- 2016 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Lists 60 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.17.2015
- Smith Anderson Announces 49 of its Firm Lawyers are Named a “Best Lawyer” by The Best Lawyers in America® 201308.29.2012