Dana Simpson practices in the areas of Government Relations and Administrative Law and co-chairs the Government Relations practice at Smith Anderson.
Dana regularly advises clients regarding legislative and regulatory advocacy, public relations, grassroots strategies, economic development initiatives, and ethics and campaign finance law compliance. In 2012, he was rated the number one “Most Influential” lobbyist in the General Assembly in a survey of legislators, lobbyists and the press conducted by the nonpartisan North Carolina Center for Public Policy Research.
Dana also provides corporate and regulatory counsel to businesses and professional associations.
Before law school, Dana served as Special Assistant for Communications and Policy to the Speaker of the North Carolina House of Representatives. Dana has experience representing clients on rule-making and administrative law matters, having served as a member of the North Carolina Rules Review Commission from 2003-2006.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Wake County Bar Association
- University of North Carolina School of Government Foundation (Board of Directors)
- University of North Carolina School of Law Alumni Association (Board of Directors)
- Alliance Medical Ministry (Board of Advisors)
- St. David's School (Board of Advisors)
Honors & Awards
- Named Number One "Most Influential" Lobbyist in North Carolina, N.C. Center for Public Policy Research
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Government Relations Practice (2009-2017)
- Business North Carolina Legal Elite
- North Carolina Super Lawyers Rising Star, Government Relations (2010-2013)
- North Carolina Law Review
- Order of the Coif
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Recipient of Triangle Business Journal's 2012 "40 Under 40" Leadership Award
News & Publications
- 2017 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Recognizes 62 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.15.2016
- 2016 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Lists 60 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.17.2015
- Dana Simpson Featured in Carolina Law Magazine for his influence on Law and Policy in North Carolina12.30.2013
- Dana Simpson Appointed to Board of Directors for the University of North Carolina General Alumni Association05.30.2013
- Smith Anderson Announces 49 of its Firm Lawyers are Named a “Best Lawyer” by The Best Lawyers in America® 201308.29.2012
- Smith Anderson’s Dana Simpson Recognized as a 2012 “40 Under 40” Award Winner by Triangle Business Journal05.02.2012