Caryn McNeill leads Smith Anderson’s Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation practice group, which has consistently received the highest ranking (metropolitan Tier 1) from U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” since 2010. She regularly advises public and private companies on all aspects of the design, implementation and administration of employee benefit plans and executive compensation arrangements, including stock option plans and other types of equity-based compensation arrangements. A significant part of her practice is devoted to counseling and negotiating on behalf of clients in connection with mergers and acquisitions. She also regularly assists employers, lenders and institutional fiduciaries with the structure and implementation of leveraged ESOP transactions.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- President, North Carolina Bar Association (2017-2018)
- Executive Committee Member, Carolinas Chapter of The ESOP Association
- National Association of Stock Plan Professionals
- Triangle Benefits Forum
- Chair, Board of Trustees, Ravenscroft School (2015-2017)
- Sewanee Parents' Council
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law (2010-2018)
- The Best Lawyers in America© “Lawyer of the Year,” Raleigh Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law (2013, 2016, 2018)
- North Carolina Super Lawyers (2014-2018)
- North Carolina Lawyers Weekly "Leaders in the Law" Honoree (2017)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rated
- Triangle Business Leader Media's Pro Bono Impact Award
- Advised a multinational Fortune 500 provider of product development and integrated healthcare services on benefits-related matters in its merger with a NYSE-listed global information and technology services company, creating a leading information and tech-enabled healthcare service provider. The equity market capitalization of the joined companies was more than $17.6 billion at closing.
- Provided employee benefits advice to a global LED lighting and semiconductor manufacturing company in connection with its agreement to sell $850 million of assets to a publicly traded German company. The parties terminated the sale before closing due to regulatory considerations.
- Represented a global provider of biopharmaceutical services in its $1.1 billion initial public offering and listing on the New York Stock Exchange, including design and preparation of new stock incentive plan and annual management incentive plan, and assistance with related disclosures.
- Served as company counsel with respect to ESOP’s participation in $2.04 billion aftermarket auto parts industry merger.
- Represented a pharmaceutical company being acquired by a global biopharmaceutical company and negotiated related 280G treatment and future severance protection and incentive arrangements for seller’s employees.
- Advised a public biotherapeutic company about the 409A issues associated with extending the term of expiring options and the correction of same.
- Represented an institutional ESOP trustee in connection with the purchase of 100% of the stock of a chemical supplier.
- Advise multiple companies about a variety of issues associated with the administration of their qualified retirement plans, including creating investment policy statements, reviewing investment performance and replacing investment options; analyzing fiduciary issues related to changes in employer contributions or other plan design issues due to changes in economic circumstances; and correcting operational failures arising in day-to-day plan administration.
- Advised a publicly traded health services company on the employee benefits aspects of its acquisition of a health services division of a privately held company for $105 million in cash.
- Advised a private equity fund on the employee benefits aspects of its acquisition of a specialty pharmaceutical company.
News & Publications
- 2018 North Carolina Super Lawyers Recognizes Forty-three Smith Anderson Lawyers as Super Lawyers and Rising Stars01.25.2018
- Smith Anderson Partner and President of the North Carolina Bar Association Caryn Coppedge McNeill Named a 2017 North Carolina Leaders in the Law Honoree07.26.2017
- Crain's Raleigh-Durham, 07.06.2017
- Triangle Business Journal, 06.27.2017
- 2017 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Recognizes 62 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.15.2016
- 2016 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Lists 60 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.17.2015
- Smith Anderson Represents General Parts International in $2.04 Billion Merger with Advance Auto Parts03.18.2014
- Smith Anderson Announces 49 of its Firm Lawyers are Named a “Best Lawyer” by The Best Lawyers in America® 201308.29.2012
- Caryn McNeill, Craig Wheaton, and Sandy Costa Present at The ESOP Association’s 2012 Tri-Chapter Regional ESOP Conference05.04.2012
- Caryn McNeill and Craig Wheaton Speak at the North Carolina Association of Independent Schools Business Officers Conference12.15.2011
- IRS Relief Available to Victims of Hurricane Matthew in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Florida10.25.2016
Events & Webinars
- “Five Habits of the Most Professional Lawyers I Know,” Duke Law School LEAD Week Professionalism Luncheon, Durham, N.C.08.2017
- "The North Carolina Bar Foundation: Supporting a Culture of Service and Giving in the Profession," North Carolina’s Top 50 Women "Super Lawyers” Reception, Greensboro, N.C.05.2017
- "Lessons Learned" and "Leadership in Partnership," NCAIS Conference for Heads and Trustees, Southern Pines, N.C.01.2017
- "Keeping the One Big Thing, The One Big Thing: Practical Governance for Independent School Boards," Ravenscroft School’s Ravens Council11.2016
- "Achieve Your Vision Through Great Governance," CASE-NAIS Independent Schools Conference, New York, N.Y.02.2016
- "Benefits Implications of Contingent Workforces," Smith Anderson's 23rd Annual Employment Law Update, Cary, N.C.10.2015
- "Benefits Implications of Contingent Workforces," Carolinas Chapter of the ESOP Association 8th Annual Conference, Charlotte, N.C.08.2015
- "Selling Your ESOP Company: Tales from the Trenches," 2015 ESOP Invitational, Pinehurst Resort, N.C.03.2015
- "Correcting Problems with Your Retirement Plan," Smith Anderson’s 22nd Annual Employment Law Update, Cary, N.C.11.2014
- "Correcting Problems with Your Retirement Plan," Smith Anderson’s 22nd Annual Employment Law Update, Cary, N.C.10.2014
- "Executive Compensation for ESOP Companies: What’s Hot and What’s Not," Carolinas Chapter of the ESOP Association 7th Annual Conference, Pinehurst, N.C.08.2014
- "Executive Compensation in ESOP Companies," 2014 ESOP Invitational, Williamsburg, Va.03.2014
- "Basics of an ESOP Committee," Carolinas Chapter of the ESOP Association 6th Annual Conference, Pinehurst, N.C.08.2013
- "Trustees and the ESOP Valuation Update: Is Your Report Keeping Pace with Your Business?," 2013 ESOP Invitational, Pinehurst, N.C.03.2013
- "Best Practices for Internal ESOP Trustees," Carolinas Chapter of the ESOP Association 5th Annual Conference, Pinehurst, N.C.08.2012
- "Valuation JEOPARDY!," The ESOP Association’s Tri-Chapter Regional Conference, Pinehurst, N.C.03.2012
- "Fiduciaries & Valuations," The ESOP Association’s Tri-Chapter Regional Conference, Pinehurst, N.C.03.2011
- "An Overview of Health Reform and The Health Care Reform Act," Smith Anderson's 18th Annual Employment Law Update, North Carolina Bar Center, Cary, N.C.11.2010
- "Health Care Reform: Where Do We Go From Here?," Carolinas Chapter of The ESOP Association 3rd Annual Conference, Pinehurst, N.C.08.2010
- "The Employment Law and ESOP Implications of Reductions in Force and Multiple Layoffs," Carolinas Chapter of The ESOP Association 2nd Annual Conference, Pinehurst, N.C.08.2009
- "Opportunities and Obstacles in an Economic Slowdown," The ESOP Association's 2009 ESOP Southeast Regional Conference, Savannah, Ga.03.2009
- "Are Your 401(k) Fiduciary Responsibilities Keeping You Up at Night?," Joint Program with Aon Consulting, North Carolina Bar Center, Cary, N.C.02.2009
- "Assorted Issues with ESOP Investments in Today's Market," Carolinas Chapter of The ESOP Association 1st Annual Conference, Pinehurst, N.C.08.2008
- "Special Issues in Mergers and Acquisitions: Employee Benefits Implications," North Carolina Bar Association 2008 Business Law Section and Corporate Counsel Section Joint Annual Meetings, Pinehurst, N.C.02.2008
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina
Duke University, J.D., 1991
Davidson College, B.A., with honors in English, 1988
Holton-Arms School, 1984