Alex Bowling joined Smith Anderson in 2013. He practices in the areas of securities law, corporate law, and mergers and acquisitions. His practice focuses on public offerings and private placements of securities, corporate governance and compliance matters, and general corporate representation.
In addition to representing clients, Alex regularly presents on recent developments in the areas of corporate and securities law including SEC rule making related to the JOBS Act, adoption of the Rule 506 bad actor provisions and North Carolina’s revised appraisal rights statute.
Prior to joining Smith Anderson, Alex was a North Carolina Teaching Fellow at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. After earning his master’s degree in teaching, he worked as a high school teacher in Raleigh, N.C., teaching Civics and Economics and Advanced Placement Macroeconomics.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- North Carolina Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- North Carolina Issue Editor and Staff Member, North Carolina Law Review, 2011-2013
- Represented first North Carolina company to launch a Title III Regulation Crowdfunding offering
- Represented a real estate micro-lending crowdfunding platform in qualification with the SEC and NASAA of Tier 1 Regulation A offering
- Represented a leading private company provider of pharmaceutical product access support services in its acquisition by a private equity fund in a $206 million reverse triangular merger
- Advises NYSE- and NASDAQ-listed public companies in various industries with respect to public disclosure and securities law compliance matters, NYSE and NASDAQ listing requirements, corporate governance, and general corporate matters.
- Represented NASDAQ-listed pharmaceutical company in connection with an acquisition of a drug product license.
- Represented NASDAQ-listed medical device company in connection with a public equity line financing.
News & Publications
- Public Companies Take Note: SEC Launches Enforcement Initiative Targeting Section 16 and Other Shareholder Filings09.23.2014
Events & Webinars
- Speaker, EntreDot Crowdfunding Seminar, Research Triangle Park, N.C.03.2014
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina
University of North Carolina School of Law, J.D., with high honors, 2013
- The Order of the Coif
- Dean’s List
- Gressman-Pollitt Award for Excellence in Oral Advocacy
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, M.A.T., 2006
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.A., History, with distinction, 2005
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Golden Key International Honour Society