By its nature, venture capital is dynamic, carrying potential for both significant risk and high reward. Having experienced, capable legal counsel can make the difference for venture funds, strategic investors, start-ups and emerging growth companies alike. As the largest business and litigation law firm headquartered in North Carolina’s world-famous Research Triangle Park area, we have a long track record of venture capital success in our region and beyond.
With considerable experience on both sides of the venture capital aisle, we have a sophisticated understanding of the goals, concerns, ambitions and perspectives of all parties involved in venture capital deals. We offer not just skilled legal analysis, but also practical business advice on venture capital fund formation and strategic, financial and corporate investor representation and financing arrangements.
We also have decades of experience in representing emerging growth and start-up companies and assist our clients in all aspects of their expansion and development. Our Firm has special expertise in venture capital financing transactions. With particular expertise in information technology, clean technology, drug discovery, biotech, medical devices, health care and other life sciences, we have represented both investors and companies alike in a wide range of venture-capital transactions. When your business’s evolution requires it, we also offer seasoned counsel on mezzanine financing, other private equity, and mergers and acquisitions.
Our highly capable team members include lawyers with corporate, securities and fund experience at major national and international law firms. As a full-service business law firm, we offer assistance in such related areas as Securities, Tax, Mezzanine Finance, Intellectual Property, Corporate Governance and Compliance, Employment, Labor and Human Resources, Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation, Government Relations, Corporate Relocations and Expansions, Mergers and Acquisitions, and Corporate and Securities Litigation.
- Corporate formation and initial organizational documents
- Employment and non-competition agreements
- Stock option planning and administration
- Strategic alliances and joint ventures
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Intellectual property planning, protection and licensing
- Venture capital and angel financings
- Tax strategies and counseling
- Recognized Nationally for Best-in-Class Client Service, Smith Anderson is Named to the BTI Client Service A-TeamNovember 30, 2016
- U.S. News and Best Lawyers® Recognizes Smith Anderson in 38 Practice Categories, Awards Firm Two National RatingsNovember 1, 2016
- 2017 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Recognizes 62 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s HistoryAugust 15, 2016
- March 11, 2016
- February 18, 2016
- 2016 U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” Recognizes Smith Anderson in 38 Practice Categories and Awards a National RatingNovember 2, 2015
- 2016 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Lists 60 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s HistoryAugust 17, 2015
- June 26, 2015
- June 8, 2015
- April 22, 2015
- January 23, 2015
- November 5, 2014
- September 18, 2014
- August 18, 2014
- June 23, 2014
- June 12, 2014
- May 28, 2014
- March 12, 2014
- Governor Pat McCrory appoints Jeff Truitt to Serve as Member of the North Carolina State Board of Certified Public Accountant ExaminersFebruary 21, 2014
- January 30, 2014
- November 1, 2013
- August 15, 2013
- Merrill Mason Presents at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill Kenan Flagler’s “Launching the Venture” Program for MBA StudentsApril 12, 2013
- April 11, 2013
- March 14, 2013
- December 20, 2012
- December 11, 2012
- Smith Anderson Announces 49 of its Firm Lawyers are Named a “Best Lawyer” by The Best Lawyers in America® 2013August 29, 2012
- August 15, 2012
- November 28, 2011
- November 18, 2011
- Merrill Mason and Robert Rehm Participate in Panel Presentation at Wake Forest University’s School of LawMarch 31, 2011
- Smith Anderson Sponsors Biotech/Life Science 2011 Conference - Sponsorship Complements Partners’ Board Service and Life Sciences PracticeFebruary 18, 2011
- September 15, 2010
- August 24, 2010
- Smith Anderson Sponsors Biotech 2010 Conference - Sponsorship Complements Partners’ Board Service and Life Sciences PracticeFebruary 5, 2010
- November 16, 2009
- July 7, 2009
- April 29, 2009
- April 22, 2009
- April 15, 2009
- January 29, 2016
- March 30, 2015www.jobsnc.blogspot.com
- November 12, 2013
- August 9, 2013
- January 23, 2013
- January 15, 2013
- We’re Still Waiting: When Will the SEC Lift the Ban on General Solicitation and Advertisements for Rule 506 and 144A Offerings?January 1, 2013
- April 22, 2015HQ Raleigh | Raleigh, N.C.
Since January 2015, Smith Anderson has advised clients in more than 300 transactions representing approximately $11 billion in value, including mergers, acquisitions and divestitures; real estate development and construction; life sciences and health care; technology and intellectual property; debt finance; private equity and mezzanine finance; initial public offerings; growth companies and venture capital; and fund formation. The following provides a comprehensive overview of some of our clients' key closed business transactions in 2015. Highlights include:
- Over 60 mergers, acquisitions and securities offerings totaling approximately $4 billion, including the first qualified offering under new Regulation A for Groundfloor Finance, the first multi-state real estate peer-to-peer micro-lending platform for non-accredited investors.
- Over 60 life sciences and health care transactions and 40 information and materials technology transactions totaling in excess of $4 billion, including Quintiles/Quest global joint venture in the creation of Q2 Solutions with initial annual revenues of nearly $600 million.
- Over 100 real estate and construction matters totaling in excess of $2 billion, including the expansions at North Hills by Kane Realty Corporation.
- Over 80 senior and mezzanine debt financing transactions totaling in excess of $4 billion.
- 2016 SPOTLIGHT DEAL: Lead counsel in a worldwide immuno-oncology partnership worth up to $1.6 billion for genome editing company Precision BioSciences.
Our firm is fortunate to have worked on a wide array of transactions with a diverse group of clients. CLICK HERE to expand the image below, which lists some of our clients and their business transactions completed in 2015.