The share of your estate going to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and its state counterparts depends largely on the effectiveness of your tax planning and, in some cases, on the effectiveness of your representation in tax controversies. Our Trusts and Estates lawyers provide experienced, confidential counsel in planning to reduce your tax burden and in defending against claims of federal and state tax authorities. We use our experience in the complex world of taxation to help you save money for your family and your philanthropy.
Our firm can help you transfer and preserve family wealth from generation to generation, accomplish your charitable goals and reduce income, gift, estate, generation-skipping and other taxes that erode family wealth. We provide counsel on specific wealth-transfer issues such as wills, trusts, transfers of family businesses, ancestral wealth arrangements, charitable gifts and the use of insurance products and tax planning for retirement distributions. Our trusts and estates legal experience includes planning and administering large, complex trusts and estates, and we regularly advise executors, trustees and beneficiaries on tax and fiduciary law matters.
Because we are a full-service law firm, we also offer assistance with related legal matters such as Tax-Exempt Organizations, Financial Institutions, Securities, Commercial Real Estate, Commercial Contracts, and Employment, Labor and Human Resources. We also assist with arrangements for profit-sharing, retirement and executive compensation.
Smith Anderson and several of our partners are recognized in the North Carolina Private Wealth Law chapter of the 2017 edition of Chambers and Partners: High Net Worth. The High Net Worth guide identifies the leading lawyers and law firms for wealthy individuals and families.
- Trust and estate planning services to individuals
- Trust and estate administration services to executors, trustees and beneficiaries
- Representation before federal and state tax authorities in tax controversies
- Planning advice to those donating to charities
- Advice on legal and tax issues relating to charitable, tax-exempt organizations
News & Publications
- Smith Anderson Recognized in 39 Practice Categories, Receives Two National Ratings in U.S. News and Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms”11.02.2017
- Smith Anderson’s Trusts and Estates Practice Recognized in Private Wealth Law Chapter of Chambers and Partners: High Net Worth09.15.2017
- Bloomberg BNA, 07.05.2017
- WUNC TV “Bottom Line”, 06.26.2017
- Recognized Nationally for Best-in-Class Client Service, Smith Anderson is Named to the BTI Client Service A-Team11.30.2016
- U.S. News and Best Lawyers® Recognizes Smith Anderson in 38 Practice Categories, Awards Firm Two National Ratings11.01.2016
- 2017 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Recognizes 62 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.15.2016
- 2016 U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” Recognizes Smith Anderson in 38 Practice Categories and Awards a National Rating11.02.2015
- 2016 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Lists 60 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.17.2015
- Smith Anderson Honored with 2013 ‘Best Law Firms’ Rankings by U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers
- Smith Anderson Announces 49 of its Firm Lawyers are Named a “Best Lawyer” by The Best Lawyers in America® 201308.29.2012
- Smith Anderson Attorney Walter Rogers Elected as a Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel04.02.2012
- Walter Rogers’s Article “Contribution of Appreciated Property to a Partnership: More Than Just a Nice Credit to the Capital Account” is published in The Practical Tax Lawyer02.07.2011
- Walter Rogers’s article “Valuation for Gift Tax Purposes: It Ain’t Over Till It’s Over” Published by NCBA Periodical01.06.2011
- A Selected Bibliography of North Carolina Practice Materials For Lawyers and Other Legal Professionals04.02.2004
- A Selected Bibliography of North Carolina Practice Materials For Lawyers and Other Legal Professionals06.14.2002