Technology-centric companies are often at a crossroads where the benefits of new and disruptive technologies meet ever-changing laws intended to address problems arising from those same technologies. It is crucial to the success of such businesses that their lawyers keep pace and possess the ability to address unique legal issues arising from the development, evolution, production, marketing, acquisition, licensing and use of technology assets and information.
Attorneys in our Technology practice have represented many of North Carolina’s broad spectrum of industry-leading companies in technology-centric business transactions and litigation. As one of the leading business and litigation law firms in the Research Triangle region, our technology team combines Smith Anderson’s long history of committed service and client focus with extensive experience in the evolving technology landscape.
Serving Start-ups to Global Corporations
We serve clients of all sizes and at all stages of development, from emerging start-ups and university spinouts to publicly traded companies, technology-focused private equity firms and venture capital firms. Our team works alongside our clients to help them achieve their business objectives in a variety of fields, including life sciences, health care, software, information and materials technologies, video games, Internet, social media, big data, clean energy and others.
Our clients receive step-by-step guidance in transactions designed to access, develop, protect and monetize technology assets, in addition to savvy counsel for technology-related disputes involving the infringement or misappropriation of patents, trade secrets, or other intellectual property, as well as commercial disputes involving contracts for technology goods or services.
Core Areas of Practice
Technology needs are unique and we understand the level of service and support required that is essential to a client’s successful navigation of this fast-paced industry. That support could mean strategic guidance in the development, acquisition, commercialization and protection of technology products and services; identification and evaluation of intellectual property risks and opportunities; or strategic acquisitions and divestitures of technology-based companies and assets, including mergers & acquisitions and license arrangements; as well as assistance throughout a technology company’s lifecycle from formation, structure and governance, and debt and equity financing, to public and private security offerings. In addition, we regularly help with technology alliances and dispute management, including representation in litigation, arbitration and mediation, as well as drafting and negotiation of technology-related settlements and counseling on intellectual property law and data use, privacy and security law.
Smith Anderson is knowledgeable in different sectors and has sophisticated teams dedicated to multiple areas of technology law, including:
- Data Use, Privacy and Security
- Energy and Renewable Energy
- Information Technology
- Intellectual Property
- Life Sciences
- Non-Compete and Trade Secrets
- Pharmaceutical and Medical Device
As a full-service business and litigation law firm, we work with our colleagues across other practice areas to provide our clients with a wide array of legal services. CLICK HERE to view the full list of our practices.
- Research, development and commercialization collaborations
- Partnering, strategic alliance and joint venture arrangements
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Product and asset acquisitions and divestitures
- Intellectual property and technology licensing and transfer
- Venture capital, initial public offerings and other equity and debt financings
- Information privacy and security matters, including policies and procedures, breach notice and incident response, investigations and corporate transactions
- Clinical trial and Contract Research Organization arrangements
- Manufacturing, supply and distribution arrangements
- Government contracts
- Outsourcing arrangements
- Sales force and co-promotion arrangements
- Company formation, structuring and governance
- Patent and trade secret litigation
- Software litigation
- Licensing disputes
News & Publications
- WUNC-TV’s “Bottom Line” Interviews Joe Dickinson on Cybersecurity and What Businesses Should be DoingWUNC-TV, “Bottom Line”, 09.15.2017
- Recognized Nationally for Best-in-Class Client Service, Smith Anderson is Named to the BTI Client Service A-Team11.30.2016
- Smith Anderson Advises Chiesi in Transaction to Acquire Three Cardiovascular Hospital Products for up to $792 Million06.22.2016
- Credit to WRAL TechWire (reprinted with permission), 06.07.2016
- Smith Anderson Advises Chiesi in Agreement to Acquire Three Cardiovascular Hospital Products for up to $792 Million05.12.2016
- The Litigator, 12.21.2012
- Smith Anderson Attorney Jessica F. Middlebrooks Appointed to the Tenth Judicial District Bar and Wake County Bar Association’s Communications/Technology Committee02.07.2012
- John Therien and Robert Rehm Present at North Carolina Central University School of Law Biotechnology and Pharmaceutical Law Review Symposium04.05.2011
- "Intellectual Property: Fueling the Health Care Reform Engine" article, co-authored by Freddie Zufelt and Robert Rehm, to Be Published in Wake Forest Journal of Business and Intellectual Property Law03.08.2011
- Robert Rehm Teaches Course on Intellectual Property Transactions at Campbell University School of Law09.02.2010
- Robert Rehm's Article "Navigating the Open-Source Minefield: What's a Business To Do?" Published in Wake Forest Intellectual Property Law Journal07.19.2010
- Alicia Gilleskie and Frederick Zufelt Present Webinar for the North Carolina Medical Society Foundation07.15.2010
- Martin Lancaster and Matt Martin Present to Defense Industry Businesses at North Carolina Federal IT Symposium06.26.2010
- Alicia Gilleskie Serves as Special Guest Speaker in a Webinar Presentation with California-based Check Point Software Technologies and RTP-based Secure Enterprise Computing05.20.2010
- Alicia Gilleskie and Freddie Zufelt Present at North Carolina Society of Healthcare Attorneys Meeting05.13.2010
- Smith Anderson Lawyers Participate in “Intellectual Property and Cyberlaw Society” Panel at Duke Law School11.23.2009
- Fourth Circuit Clarifies the Role of the District Court in a Trademark Civil Action Following a Proceeding Before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board01.11.2014
2016 Closed Transactions
2016 Closed Transactions
Since January 2016, Smith Anderson has advised clients in more than 300 transactions representing approximately $30 billion in value, including mergers, acquisitions and divestitures; real estate development and construction; life sciences and health care; technology and intellectual property; debt finance; private equity and mezzanine finance; initial public offerings; growth companies and venture capital; and fund formation. The following provides a comprehensive overview of some of our clients' key business transactions in 2016. Highlights include:
- Over 60 Mergers, Acquisitions and Public Offerings totaling approximately $22 billion, including the representation of Quintiles in its merger with IMS Health Holdings.
- Over 60 Life Sciences and Health Care transactions, including an immuno-oncology partnership worth up to $1.6 billion for genome editing company Precision BioSciences.
- Over 70 Debt Finance and more than 50 Private Equity and Mezzanine Finance transactions totaling more than $4 billion.
- Over 100 Real Estate and Construction matters totaling more than $2 billion.
- Over 60 Technology and Intellectual Property transactions totaling more than $3 billion, including the representation of Southern Company and PowerSecure, Inc. in their strategic alliance with Bloom Energy Corporation.
Our firm is fortunate to have worked on a wide array of transactions with a diverse group of clients. CLICK HERE to expand the image below, which lists some of our clients and their business transactions in 2016.
- Jason Brege
- Christopher Capel
- David Clement
- Santo Costa
- Joshua Diver
- Robert Duggins
- Tucker Idol
- Byron Kirkland
- Megan Lambert
- Matthew Lenora
- Ian Longacre
- Merrill Mason
- Robert Joseph Morris
- T. Robert Rehm, Jr.
- Davis Roach
- Gerald Roach
- Margaret Rosenfeld
- Daniel Rowe
- Michael Saber
- Mikal Shaikh
- Mary Pat Sullivan
- John Therien
- Elizabeth Thomsen
- Philip Tracy
- A. Heath Tripp
- Amy Wallace