Without strategic and experienced guidance, even the best ideas of entrepreneurs and innovators may not get off the ground. Discoverers and inventors who are experts in science or technology are not typically as experienced with business or legal issues, so we are here to help them succeed. With our longstanding experience providing entrepreneurial services and guiding start-ups, small businesses, emerging growth companies and venture-backed companies, our entrepreneur clients can focus on their ideas and be confident that the corporate foundation is built on solid ground. Our start-up lawyers complement management by acting as strategic legal advisors to our client's leadership team through each stage of a private company’s growth.
Under the leadership of Merrill M. Mason, the corporate attorneys in our Start-Ups practice group offer sophisticated legal advice and counsel clients in every stage of forming, growing and divesting their innovative companies. Additionally, we assist our start-up and emerging growth clients by leveraging our network to connect them with the people and resources they need. As the largest law firm headquartered in Raleigh, North Carolina and servicing clients in North Carolina’s renowned Research Triangle region and beyond, we support our clients with an interdisciplinary approach offering a complete menu of other legal services as their companies grow and prosper including company formation; angel, venture capital, debt, mezzanine and private-equity financings; alternative financings, including Regulation A and crowdfunding; buy and sell-side mergers and acquisitions; initial and secondary public offerings; recapitalizations; employment; and equity compensation structuring. We also assist our clients with other corporate law and governance, contract, intellectual property, corporate finance, tax, regulatory and securities compliance matters.
Our start-up and emerging growth clients include companies specializing in technology, life sciences, software, drug discovery, mobile applications, healthcare, medical devices, distribution and professional services, as well as angel funds and a start-up accelerator. Whether you are a professor with a patent, an individual with a new invention, or an undergraduate with a brilliant idea, we can help clear the path, freeing you to apply your energy to succeeding on your own merit and your own terms.
- $200,000,000 acquisition of our medical device client by a private equity-backed acquirer
- $60,000,000 reverse triangular merger of our pharmaceutical client into a public company
- $93,000,000 acquisition by a merger of our IT client to a private equity firm
- Negotiated $191,000,000 license agreement by our life sciences client to an international pharmaceutical company
- Negotiated $500,000 development agreement and convertible promissory note financing for our technology client with an independent, not-for-profit organization focusing on investment into technologies servicing the U.S. intelligence community
- Research collaboration agreement for our life sciences client with an international, not-for-profit global health organization
- $2,250,000 angel fund formation
- Financings on behalf of our start-up accelerator client and organization document creation for companies participating in the program
- $30,800,000 term loan and line of credit with a bank and stock sale to an employee stock ownership plan for our IT client
- $7,200,000 supply agreement and manufacturing rights option with a Japanese corporation for our IT client
- $5,000,000 Regulation A offering for our peer-to-peer lending client and first issuer to complete the coordinated process for state-level review by the NASAA
- $2,000,000 distribution agreement and convertible note financing for our life sciences client to a leading Japanese medical device company
- Corporate formation, structuring and governance
- Initial organizational documents
- Start-up ecosystem access
- Seed, angel, venture capital, debt, mezzanine and private-equity financings
- Initial and secondary public offerings
- Corporate finance
- Regulatory and securities compliance
- General corporate contracting
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Intellectual property planning, protection, contracting and licensing
- Equity compensation planning and administration, including stock options
- Employment and non-competition agreements
- Strategic alliances and joint ventures
- Tax strategies and counseling
News & Publications
- Founders of Canine Cancer Detection Co. and Mosquito Bite Resistant Clothing Co. Receive "Entrepreneur of the Year" Awards11.22.2017
- Council for Entrepreneurial Development, Website, 10.30.2017
- Smith Anderson Partner Benji Jones Selected as an “Editor’s Choice" Recipient of WRAL’s TechWire Annual Awards for Her Role in NC PACES04.26.2017
- The News & Observer, 04.21.2017
- Smith Anderson Partner Merrill Mason provides insight on the impact of Intersouth Partner’s decision to stop investing in new companiesTriangle Business Journal, 04.17.2017
- Smith Anderson Advises the First North Carolina Startup to Launch a Title III Regulation Crowdfunding Campaign01.10.2017
- Published by Greenville Daily Reflector, 12.02.2016
- Recognized Nationally for Best-in-Class Client Service, Smith Anderson is Named to the BTI Client Service A-Team11.30.2016
- North Carolina Chamber, 11.03.2016
- WRAL News on FOX 50, 10.03.2016
- 2017 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Recognizes 62 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.15.2016
- Published by StateScoop, 08.02.2016
- WRAL and ABC11 Interview Benji Jones on the NC PACES Act/Crowdfunding Law Signed by Governor McCroryWRAL and WTVD, 07.26.2016
- Published by The News & Observer, 07.11.2016
- Published by The Triangle Business Journal, 06.30.2016
- Credit to WRAL TechWire (reprinted with permission), 05.19.2016
- Merrill Mason Joins Mock Negotiation Exercise at Kenan Flagler’s Strategy and Entrepreneurship Class03.05.2014
- Governor Pat McCrory appoints Jeff Truitt to Serve as Member of the North Carolina State Board of Certified Public Accountant Examiners02.21.2014
- Merrill Mason Presents to Students in the Introduction to Entrepreneurship Course at UNC’s Kenan-Flagler Business School11.13.2013
- Smith Anderson Sponsors Biotech/Life Science 2011 Conference - Sponsorship Complements Partners’ Board Service and Life Sciences Practice02.18.2011
- Smith Anderson Lawyers Participate in Council for Entrepreneurial Development’s CAFÉ Event on Company Valuations06.21.2010
- NC PACES UPDATE: Regulators Propose Groundbreaking Rules for Local Offerings by North Carolina Companies03.10.2017Published by WRAL TechWire
- 10.28.2016Published by WRAL TechWire
- 06.30.2016Published by WRAL TechWire
- 06.16.2016Published by WRAL TechWire
- 04.26.2016Published by WRAL TechWire
- 02.10.2016Notes Bearing Interest, Published by the Business Law Section of the North Carolina Bar Association ~ Section Vol. 37, No. 2
- 04.07.2015Reprinted from Growth Capital Investor, Vol. IV, Issue 6
- 01.20.2015Reprinted from Growth Capital Investor, Vol. IV, Issue 1, January 20, 2015
- Fourth Circuit Clarifies the Role of the District Court in a Trademark Civil Action Following a Proceeding Before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board01.11.2014
Events & Webinars
- HQ Raleigh | Raleigh, N.C., 04.22.2015
2016 Closed Transactions
2016 Closed Transactions
Since January 2016, Smith Anderson has advised clients in more than 300 transactions representing approximately $30 billion in value, including mergers, acquisitions and divestitures; real estate development and construction; life sciences and health care; technology and intellectual property; debt finance; private equity and mezzanine finance; initial public offerings; growth companies and venture capital; and fund formation. The following provides a comprehensive overview of some of our clients' key business transactions in 2016. Highlights include:
- Over 60 Mergers, Acquisitions and Public Offerings totaling approximately $22 billion, including the representation of Quintiles in its merger with IMS Health Holdings.
- Over 60 Life Sciences and Health Care transactions, including an immuno-oncology partnership worth up to $1.6 billion for genome editing company Precision BioSciences.
- Over 70 Debt Finance and more than 50 Private Equity and Mezzanine Finance transactions totaling more than $4 billion.
- Over 100 Real Estate and Construction matters totaling more than $2 billion.
- Over 60 Technology and Intellectual Property transactions totaling more than $3 billion, including the representation of Southern Company and PowerSecure, Inc. in their strategic alliance with Bloom Energy Corporation.
Our firm is fortunate to have worked on a wide array of transactions with a diverse group of clients. CLICK HERE to expand the image below, which lists some of our clients and their business transactions in 2016.