Professionals In This Practice
For lenders and investors providing mezzanine debt and other types of junior capital, we offer legal services with a distinctive blend of deal experience, expertise and practical counsel. Handling over 100 transactions in the past three years, our lawyers routinely represent mezzanine funds, small business investment companies (SBICs), business development companies (BDCs) and other providers of junior capital. We are creative yet pragmatic in structuring deals, closely attuned to the market and our clients’ businesses, and fundamentally solution-oriented. Instead of over-complicating transactions, we take a deal driven approach focused on reasonable market terms to achieve the best and most efficient outcome.
We counsel clients on a wide variety of transactions, including unitranche debt; first-out and last-out senior loans; second lien debt; secured and unsecured subordinated debt; preferred, common and strip equity co-investments; and warrant and other equity kickers. We can assist with portfolio company sales and exits, as well as with restructuring and insolvency matters. Headquartered in Raleigh, North Carolina, our law firm handles investments in a diverse range of industries, such as healthcare, energy, financial services, food and beverage services, education, government contracting, social media, communications, software, information technology, distribution, transportation, construction and manufacturing. Because of our extensive work with sophisticated clients and complex deals across the nation, we maintain an updated perspective of market terms for mezzanine transactions, including debt and equity co-investment structures and subordination and intercreditor terms.
Our Mezzanine Finance practice is supported by attorneys with deep experience in private equity deals, senior secured lending, and mergers and acquisitions. Backed by the strength of a full-service business and litigation law firm, we specialize in integrated deal management with lawyers in our Mergers and Acquisitions, Tax, Employment, Labor and Human Resources, Debt Finance and Bankruptcy, Workouts and Creditors' Rights practices, plus others as needed, for each transaction. We provide thoughtfully tailored counsel, with heavy involvement and oversight by senior lawyers, while offering you significant value. Priding ourselves on the trust and confidence we build with clients, we are fortunate to enjoy relationships that span decades.
- Unitranche debt
- Last-out senior loans
- Second lien debt
- Secured and unsecured subordinated debt
- Equity co-investments
- Warrants and other equity kickers
- Portfolio company sales and exits
- Restructuring and insolvency
- BDC and certain SBIC co-investors in a $37 million secured mezzanine financing and $5 million common and preferred equity co-investment to fund the acquisition of the nation’s leading provider of sustainable, environmentally and ethically responsible sweeteners
- SBICs in a $13 million secured mezzanine financing and $1.3 million equity co-investment to fund the acquisition of digital media manufacturing company
- Private mezzanine fund in a $7.5 million multi-class structured equity investment to refinance existing equity and debt and provide growth capital to a waste management and recycling group of companies
- BDC and SBIC in a $25 million unsecured mezzanine financing and $1.2 million equity co-investment to refinance existing debt and fund add on acquisition for food management services group
- SBIC and BDC in a refinance of their secured mezzanine position and partial sale/partial rollover of significant minority equity investment in a change of control transaction of leading manufacturer of sewing, sealing, hot air, gluing and bag handling systems
- BDC in a $15 million secured mezzanine financing and $1 million equity co-investment to refinance existing debt for energy management company
- Private mezzanine fund in restructuring of $14.5 million unsecured mezzanine financing with warrants and equity co-investment to leading electrical systems integrator and custom metal enclosure designer and manufacturer
- SBIC in a $10 million mezzanine financing and $1.4 million equity co-investment to fund the acquisition of a provider of housing and equipment rental services to the oil and gas drilling industry
- March 11, 2016
- 2016 U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” Recognizes Smith Anderson in 38 Practice Categories and Awards a National RatingNovember 2, 2015
- April 22, 2015
- April 16, 2015
- January 23, 2015
- December 11, 2014
- September 18, 2014
- June 23, 2014
- May 28, 2014
- April 25, 2014
- March 31, 2014
- Governor Pat McCrory appoints Jeff Truitt to Serve as Member of the North Carolina State Board of Certified Public Accountant ExaminersFebruary 21, 2014
- January 30, 2014
- March 15, 2013
- March 14, 2013
- Smith Anderson Announces 49 of its Firm Lawyers are Named a “Best Lawyer” by The Best Lawyers in America® 2013August 29, 2012
- March 26, 2012
- April 22, 2009
- January 29, 2016
- March 30, 2015www.jobsnc.blogspot.com
- April 22, 2015HQ Raleigh | Raleigh, N.C.
Since January 2015, Smith Anderson has advised clients in more than 300 transactions representing approximately $11 billion in value, including mergers, acquisitions and divestitures; real estate development and construction; life sciences and health care; technology and intellectual property; debt finance; private equity and mezzanine finance; initial public offerings; growth companies and venture capital; and fund formation. The following provides a comprehensive overview of some of our clients' key closed business transactions in 2015. Highlights include:
- Over 60 mergers, acquisitions and securities offerings totaling approximately $4 billion, including the first qualified offering under new Regulation A for Groundfloor Finance, the first multi-state real estate peer-to-peer micro-lending platform for non-accredited investors.
- Over 60 life sciences and health care transactions and 40 information and materials technology transactions totaling in excess of $4 billion, including Quintiles/Quest global joint venture in the creation of Q2 Solutions with initial annual revenues of nearly $600 million.
- Over 100 real estate and construction matters totaling in excess of $2 billion, including the expansions at North Hills by Kane Realty Corporation.
- Over 80 senior and mezzanine debt financing transactions totaling in excess of $4 billion.
- 2016 SPOTLIGHT DEAL: Lead counsel in a worldwide immuno-oncology partnership worth up to $1.6 billion for genome editing company Precision BioSciences.
Our firm is fortunate to have worked on a wide array of transactions with a diverse group of clients. CLICK HERE to expand the image below, which lists some of our clients and their business transactions completed in 2015.