Being accused of medical malpractice is a traumatizing experience for health care professionals, striking at what is usually the most vulnerable time of their lives. As our client, you’ll find we stand by your side, help you embrace challenges and walk you through the complexities of the legal system. We take great pride in helping to restore your life so that you can move forward focusing on your true calling of helping patients.
When health care practitioners need defending, the support of knowledgeable, resourceful and well-prepared legal partners is invaluable. Having been involved with hundreds of cases within the past half century, our medical malpractice lawyers have broad experience defending physicians, hospitals and other health care providers in some of the most important and ground-breaking cases in North Carolina’s history. Our philosophy combines an overall appreciation and understanding of the medical culture with extensive hands-on experience that comes from a long history of defending health care professionals involved in malpractice claims and cases. We take an aggressive and efficient approach, assisting health care providers through every stage of malpractice lawsuits, including pre-litigation claims; discovery; depositions; medical records analysis; and trials and appellate advocacy. We also offer risk-management review and training, and advise our Firm’s health care lobbyists on medical liability reforms and other legislation.
We take our work personally. We help shoulder your burdens and will work days, nights and weekends to resolve them as favorably as possible. We’re innovative, too. For example, we were the first North Carolina law firm to employ nurses as part of our team. Because of our deep experience, we have exceptional access to top expert witnesses. We are proud to take good care of you so you can get back to taking care of patients.
- Trial and appellate advocacy
- Review of medical malpractice claims
- Analysis of medical records
- Defense of depositions and discovery
- Risk management review and seminars
- Representation regarding North Carolina medical board investigations and other disciplinary proceedings
- All other matters related to defense of medical malpractice lawsuits
News & Publications
- Recognized Nationally for Best-in-Class Client Service, Smith Anderson is Named to the BTI Client Service A-Team11.30.2016
- U.S. News and Best Lawyers® Recognizes Smith Anderson in 38 Practice Categories, Awards Firm Two National Ratings11.01.2016
- 2017 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Recognizes 62 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.15.2016
- 2016 U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” Recognizes Smith Anderson in 38 Practice Categories and Awards a National Rating11.02.2015
- 2016 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Lists 60 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.17.2015
- Robert E. Desmond Selected to Serve as Reporter for the North Carolina Pattern Jury Instructions Civil Law Subcommittee08.06.2014
- Smith Anderson Honored with 2013 ‘Best Law Firms’ Rankings by U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers
- Smith Anderson Announces 49 of its Firm Lawyers are Named a “Best Lawyer” by The Best Lawyers in America® 201308.29.2012
- John Madden, Smith Anderson Partner, to Present Check at the Jerry Lewis Muscular Dystrophy Association Labor Day Telethon09.03.2009