Successful international business transactions require sophisticated legal expertise, first-rate practical advice and cross-cultural sensitivity – all hallmarks of our International Law practice. We represent both domestic companies operating overseas and foreign companies investing here. With deep experience advising clients and structuring win-win international legal agreements, we serve a wide range of businesses and industries with international legal representation.
As the largest business and litigation law firm headquartered in North Carolina’s world-renowned Research Triangle Park area, we have many years of international business legal experience working with global clients, seamlessly navigating different legal cultures, helping to structure cross-border transactions and connecting you to the best local international law counsel when needed. If your company is involved in an international deal, you need lawyers with proven experience working across cultural divides and overcoming unique challenges, always with an eye (and an ear) toward helping you meet your business goals. Our dispute resolution and risk management lawyers have experience with managing the complex procedures and logistics of international litigation. Many international clients seek assistance with corporate relocation and expansion, in which we often provide counsel on comparative tax border, state and local financial incentives and site selection. North Carolina’s six foreign or free trade zones provide neutral, secured areas legally outside of the U.S. customs territory that offer economic advantages for businesses involved in international trade. Additionally, our seasoned international law lawyers, advise companies on whether they can qualify to be located into the area. We invest the effort to get to know you, your company, your needs and objectives – and then, working side-by-side, can better help you succeed.
As our client, you will find that we provide a caliber of service and expertise on par with national firms, yet with the added value of greater partner-level involvement. We offer the skill, knowledge, experience, commitment and international connections to help your business succeed – a winning combination in any language.
- Selecting domestic and foreign business entities
- International commercial agreements
- Tax planning for international operations
- International mergers, acquisitions and divestitures
- International litigation
- Foreign capital markets transactions
- International joint ventures
- Export transactions
- International credit facilities
- Trade finance
- Cross-border licensing arrangements
- International project finance
- Cross-border mergers and acquisitions
- Formation of subsidiaries outside of U.S./corporate entities
- International litigation
- Employment issues
- Investments abroad and in U.S.
- June 23, 2015
- April 22, 2015
- January 23, 2015
- February 24, 2014
- August 20, 2013
- August 15, 2013
- December 14, 2012
- September 12, 2012
- December 2, 2011
Since January 2015, Smith Anderson has advised clients in more than 300 transactions representing approximately $11 billion in value, including mergers, acquisitions and divestitures; real estate development and construction; life sciences and health care; technology and intellectual property; debt finance; private equity and mezzanine finance; initial public offerings; growth companies and venture capital; and fund formation. The following provides a comprehensive overview of some of our clients' key closed business transactions in 2015. Highlights include:
- Over 60 mergers, acquisitions and securities offerings totaling approximately $4 billion, including the first qualified offering under new Regulation A for Groundfloor Finance, the first multi-state real estate peer-to-peer micro-lending platform for non-accredited investors.
- Over 60 life sciences and health care transactions and 40 information and materials technology transactions totaling in excess of $4 billion, including Quintiles/Quest global joint venture in the creation of Q2 Solutions with initial annual revenues of nearly $600 million.
- Over 100 real estate and construction matters totaling in excess of $2 billion, including the expansions at North Hills by Kane Realty Corporation.
- Over 80 senior and mezzanine debt financing transactions totaling in excess of $4 billion.
- 2016 SPOTLIGHT DEAL: Lead counsel in a worldwide immuno-oncology partnership worth up to $1.6 billion for genome editing company Precision BioSciences.
Our firm is fortunate to have worked on a wide array of transactions with a diverse group of clients. CLICK HERE to expand the image below, which lists some of our clients and their business transactions completed in 2015.