American health care is undergoing an unprecedented transformation, and our lawyers endeavor to counsel medical professionals thoughtfully through the attendant changes. Just as physicians demystify health issues for their patients, our experienced health care law attorneys seek to untangle the complex web of regulatory, business and litigation risks confronting health care professionals and institutional clients. The health care services our firm provides range from contracting, to regulatory compliance, to medical practice mergers. We counsel clients regarding value based payment and population health strategies, including ACOs, bundled payment and clinically integrated networks. We also advise clients on health care policy, legislative advocacy, executive strategy, litigation and the complex business requirements of organized medicine.
Our Health Care practice has a history of counseling physicians, health care facilities and organizations and we have been involved in launching such health care delivery initiatives as Community Care of North Carolina and ACOs across America. Bo Bobbitt, lead lawyer of our firm’s Health Care practice, is credited nationally for authoring the blueprint for establishing ACOs, “The ACO Guide: How to Identify and Implement the Essential Elements for Accountable Care Organization Success,” from which health care providers and medical communities are developing accountable care networks.
Since 2011, “Best Law Firms,” a joint annual ranking by U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers®, has awarded our Health Care practice with its highest metropolitan Tier 1 ranking. Additionally, Bo has been featured in The Best Lawyers in America© for Health Care Law every year since 1997 and named “Lawyer of the Year” in Raleigh for Health Care Law (2013).
From our headquarters in Raleigh, North Carolina, our firm provides a wide range of health care legal services and we also offer experienced counsel in such related areas as Medical Malpractice Defense, Tax, Securities and Commercial Real Estate. We work closely with you to create solutions that allow you to focus on fulfilling your mission of caring for patients. CLICK HERE to view a full list of our business and litigation practices.
- Exclusive contracting
- Certificates of Need
- Medicare and Medicaid compliance
- Medicare and Medicaid fraud and abuse defense
- HIPAA and other federal and state confidentiality and privacy laws
- Managed care contracting, regulation and dispute resolution
- Business and contract dispute resolution and litigation
- Resolution of regulatory issues and administrative litigation
- Electronic Health Record implementation and related services
- Provider organizations
- Health care mergers and acquisitions, including practice buy-ins and buy-outs
- Practice and business entity formation
- Medical staff issues
- Employment issues, including covenants not to compete
- Professional association representation
- Representation before licensing boards
- Strategic general counsel services for ACOs and other value-based reimbursement initiatives
News & Publications
- Smith Anderson Recognized in 39 Practice Categories, Receives Two National Ratings in U.S. News and Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms”11.02.2017
- WUNC-TV’s “Bottom Line” Interviews Joe Dickinson on Cybersecurity and What Businesses Should be DoingWUNC-TV, “Bottom Line”, 09.15.2017
- Recognized Nationally for Best-in-Class Client Service, Smith Anderson is Named to the BTI Client Service A-Team11.30.2016
- U.S. News and Best Lawyers® Recognizes Smith Anderson in 38 Practice Categories, Awards Firm Two National Ratings11.01.2016
- 2017 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Recognizes 62 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.15.2016
- Step Up to the Plate: Bo Bobbitt Provides Insight on MACRA’s New Value-Based Health Care Payment LandscapeInternal Medicine News, 06.03.2016
- 2016 U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” Recognizes Smith Anderson in 38 Practice Categories and Awards a National Rating11.02.2015
- 2016 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Lists 60 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.17.2015
- Bo Knows ACOs – Bo Bobbitt Quoted in an Online News Source Regarding Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs)07.24.2014
- Dana Simpson Featured in Carolina Law Magazine for his influence on Law and Policy in North Carolina12.30.2013
- Bo Bobbitt Unveils Shared Savings Distribution Model at National Meeting of Accountable Care Organizations09.16.2013
- Bo Bobbitt Offers Guidance for Health Care Organizations Considering a Partnership with a Physician-Led Accountable Care Organization08.26.2013
- Dana Simpson Appointed to Board of Directors for the University of North Carolina General Alumni Association05.30.2013
- Bo Bobbitt Featured in American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA) Publication on Physician Involvement in ACOs06.28.2012
- Smith Anderson’s Dana Simpson Recognized as a 2012 “40 Under 40” Award Winner by Triangle Business Journal05.02.2012
- "Intellectual Property: Fueling the Health Care Reform Engine" article, co-authored by Freddie Zufelt and Robert Rehm, to Be Published in Wake Forest Journal of Business and Intellectual Property Law03.08.2011
- Kim Korando and Sean Timmons Participate in North Carolina Medical Group Managers’ 2010 Spring Conference05.24.2010
- Alicia Gilleskie and Freddie Zufelt Present at North Carolina Society of Healthcare Attorneys Meeting05.13.2010
- 02.01.2017Published by Family Practice News and Internal Medicine News
- 08.02.2016Published by Family Practice News and Internal Medicine News
- 05.12.2016Published by Family Practice News and Internal Medicine News
- 05.02.2016Published by the Texas Medical Association, Volume I
- 10.26.2015Health Plan Week
- 06.2015Prognosis (Health Law Section of the North Carolina Bar Association and the North Carolina Society of Healthcare Attorneys)
- 2015The ACO Handbook: A Guide to Accountable Care Organizations, Second Edition
- 09.2014Accountable Care News
- 09.2014The Cutting Edge
- 07.01.2014Internal Medicine News
- 03.24.2014Internal Medicine News
- 02.21.2014Internal Medicine News
- 01.21.2014Internal Medicine News
- 07.03.2013Internal Medicine News
- 04.05.2013Internal Medicine News
- 10.17.2012Internal Medicine News
2016 Closed Transactions
2016 Closed Transactions
Since January 2016, Smith Anderson has advised clients in more than 300 transactions representing approximately $30 billion in value, including mergers, acquisitions and divestitures; real estate development and construction; life sciences and health care; technology and intellectual property; debt finance; private equity and mezzanine finance; initial public offerings; growth companies and venture capital; and fund formation. The following provides a comprehensive overview of some of our clients' key business transactions in 2016. Highlights include:
- Over 60 Mergers, Acquisitions and Public Offerings totaling approximately $22 billion, including the representation of Quintiles in its merger with IMS Health Holdings.
- Over 60 Life Sciences and Health Care transactions, including an immuno-oncology partnership worth up to $1.6 billion for genome editing company Precision BioSciences.
- Over 70 Debt Finance and more than 50 Private Equity and Mezzanine Finance transactions totaling more than $4 billion.
- Over 100 Real Estate and Construction matters totaling more than $2 billion.
- Over 60 Technology and Intellectual Property transactions totaling more than $3 billion, including the representation of Southern Company and PowerSecure, Inc. in their strategic alliance with Bloom Energy Corporation.
Our firm is fortunate to have worked on a wide array of transactions with a diverse group of clients. CLICK HERE to expand the image below, which lists some of our clients and their business transactions in 2016.