Our Government Relations team offers the seasoned counsel of three of North Carolina’s “Most Influential Lobbyists,” complemented by the support of experienced consulting professionals. With decades of strategic advocacy success on a broad array of political, legislative, regulatory, administrative and legal issues – including extensive political campaign experience – our bipartisan team of lawyers maintains strong relationships throughout North Carolina’s state government and in many of our cities and counties. Additionally, we offer robust statewide media relations consulting, skilled association management and keen public grassroots outreach capabilities.
Government policies can dramatically affect industries, professions, associations and businesses – often altering their bottom lines – and businesses and organizations need effective ways to reach policymakers and inform them of the likely effects of their choices. Our Government Relations team has the knowledge, skill and legal insight to help navigate through these complex policy issues. We help our clients succeed by communicating effectively with crucial audiences: state and local political leaders, administrators, regulators, economic developers, the press and the public. We have deep, bipartisan experience in political campaigns, legislative initiatives, public controversies and message development and delivery. Combining the advocacy abilities of litigators with the negotiating skills of transactional lawyers, we guide the development of strategic public-policy objectives, determine how best to pursue those goals, and help achieve them by navigating legislative, administrative and rule-making challenges and opportunities.
The co-chairs of our Government Relations practice have long been recognized as among the “Most Influential” North Carolina lobbyists by the nonpartisan N.C. Center for Public Policy Research – including a No. 1 ranking in 2012. Another leading lawyer in our practice is a former Wake County manager and senior leader in the N.C. Senate, where he was the state’s lead budget writer. Our consulting professionals provide strategic media relations and association management expertise, rounding out our comprehensive client-service repertoire.
As the largest law firm headquartered in North Carolina’s renowned Research Triangle region, our clients benefit from our corporate, litigation and regulatory law practices that supplement our distinctive Government Relations practice.
- Legislative advocacy (lobbying and monitoring of legislative developments)
- Public relations and media strategies
- Regulatory advocacy (agency rulemaking, administrative policies and litigation)
- Regulatory compliance counseling
- Government contracts, procurement advice and litigation
- Economic development and tax incentives
- Grassroots strategies and activities
- Association management
- Campaign finance law
News & Publications
- Bloomberg BNA, 07.05.2017
- WUNC TV “Bottom Line”, 06.26.2017
- Triangle Business Journal, 06.23.2017
- Smith Anderson Attorney Richard Stevens Receives the NC Chamber’s Distinguished Public Service Award03.28.2017
- Recognized Nationally for Best-in-Class Client Service, Smith Anderson is Named to the BTI Client Service A-Team11.30.2016
- U.S. News and Best Lawyers® Recognizes Smith Anderson in 38 Practice Categories, Awards Firm Two National Ratings11.01.2016
- 2017 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Recognizes 62 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.15.2016
- 2016 U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” Recognizes Smith Anderson in 38 Practice Categories and Awards a National Rating11.02.2015
- 2016 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Lists 60 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.17.2015
- Dana Simpson Featured in Carolina Law Magazine for his influence on Law and Policy in North Carolina12.30.2013
- Dana Simpson Appointed to Board of Directors for the University of North Carolina General Alumni Association05.30.2013
- Smith Anderson Honored with 2013 ‘Best Law Firms’ Rankings by U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers
- Smith Anderson Announces 49 of its Firm Lawyers are Named a “Best Lawyer” by The Best Lawyers in America® 201308.29.2012
- Smith Anderson’s Dana Simpson Recognized as a 2012 “40 Under 40” Award Winner by Triangle Business Journal05.02.2012