Environmental law in North Carolina is a maze of ever-changing and increasingly challenging regulations which requires experienced legal advisors. The management of these complex demands is critical to businesses because of the direct impact on their operations, finances, personnel and sustainability. Our clients include national and international companies as well as large and medium-size businesses throughout North Carolina and the Southeast, representing a diverse list of industries.
Our sophisticated team of environmental lawyers includes attorneys who have practiced at some of the nation’s largest law firms and have worked at regulatory agencies, including the North Carolina Department of Justice and the North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality. This group of experienced environmental attorneys has a keen grasp on the law, with an insider’s perspective of the process and strong relationships with state and federal regulators. Additionally, members of our team have significant environmental litigation experience, including some of the largest state and federal Superfund cost recovery actions in the United States.
Chambers USA recognizes Smith Anderson’s Environmental Practice group and its two head Partners as among the best in North Carolina. In its 2014 edition, Chambers quotes a client of the practice as saying, “The lawyers just seem to know how to talk the language of both the businesses and the state regulators, and they are very effective at translating the business needs for the regulators, and vice versa" (Chambers USA 2014). In “Best Law Firms” 2014, a joint ranking by U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers®, this practice was awarded with the highest metropolitan ranking.
As the largest law firm headquartered in Raleigh, North Carolina, our firm has rich government and regulatory experience coupled with deep transactional and litigation expertise. We are a full-service business and litigation law firm and provide legal counsel in such related areas as OSHA, Construction, Real Estate Development, Energy and Renewable Energy, Commercial Contracts, Employment, Labor and Human Resources, and Government Affairs. CLICK HERE to see our full list of practice areas.
- Represented an international soft drink company in connection with acquisitions, environmental and OSHA compliance, and enforcement defense actions across the United States
- Represented national waste management companies in connection with permitting, landfill siting and regulatory approvals in North Carolina
- Represented one of the nation's largest convenience store chains in connection with acquisitions, enforcement defense, permitting and private party settlements throughout 13 states
- Represented the nation’s largest electric utility in its acquisition and construction of three utility-scale solar power generating facilities
- Serve as local environmental counsel for Fortune 1000 company that owns and operates large scale waste-to-energy facilities
- Represented a national pharmaceutical company in connection with defense of one of the single largest OSHA enforcement actions ever brought by the NCDOL-OSH Division; we also successfully defended personal injury actions filed by more than 50 individuals alleging exposure to toxic chemicals arising from the same events
- Represented an international pharmaceutical company in connection with State and federal air quality permitting and approval requirements
- Represented national trucking companies in connection with site remediation, OSHA compliance and defense and acquisition matters
- Represented national food and snack manufacturers in connection with site remediation, enforcement defense and air quality/risk management plan compliance
- Represented international and national paper product companies in connection with RCRA permitting, site remediation, TSCA reporting, water quality permitting and OSHA compliance matters in North Carolina
- Represented an insurance carrier and its insured, a private water company, in a drinking water contamination lawsuit brought by 30 homeowners in North Carolina
- Represented a real estate investment company before the N.C. Environmental Management Commission (EMC) in its successful intervention of opposition to a declaratory ruling request involving the corrected delineation of the Jordan Lake watershed critical area
- Represented a national pickle manufacturer before EMC in successful renewal of water quality variance and NPDES permit
- Represented clients in connection with all major North Carolina environmental, health and safety programs, including the Clean Air, Clean Water, and Solid and Hazardous Waste Programs; Groundwater and Aquifer Protection Programs; Stormwater and Wetlands Programs; Endangered Species; Superfund; OSHA; Asbestos; Mining and Sedimentation Control; Pollution Prevention; and Renewable Energy
- Serve as legislative and regulatory advocacy in connection with numerous North Carolina environmental statutory programs and agency initiatives, including landfill permitting, Brownfields, dry cleaner and UST Trust Fund issues and hazardous waste permitting matters
- Preparation of climate change disclosures for public company client in SEC filings
- Three of our firm's attorneys have represented the North Carolina Department of Environment and Natural Resources as Assistant Attorneys General and have personal regulatory experience with virtually all state and federal environmental programs in effect in North Carolina
Environmental Litigation Experience
- Represented one of the nation’s largest utilities with all aspects of its substantial involvement in one of the largest U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Superfund enforcement actions in North Carolina’s history
- Represented a large producer of high purity metal located in the Research Triangle Park in its defense and ultimate settlement of a threatened citizen suit by a local environmental organization regarding alleged violations of the Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act
- Represented a real estate investment company before the North Carolina Environmental Management Commission (EMC) in its successful intervention and opposition to a declaratory ruling request by environmental interests involving the corrected delineation and location of the critical area watershed boundary surrounding Jordan Lake
- Represented a national food products manufacturer before the EMC in our client’s successful renewal of a variance from the State’s water quality action level for chloride and National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit for its North Carolina facility
- Represented an insurance carrier and its insured, a private water company, in defense of a drinking water contamination lawsuit brought by approximately 30 homeowners in Wake County Superior Court. Many of the lawsuit’s allegations involved exceedences of the State’s groundwater standards and EPA’s secondary drinking water standards
- Represented a national agricultural company before the N.C. Department of Agriculture Pesticide Board and on a petition for judicial review in Wake County Superior Court in a proceeding charging the most significant pesticide law violations in North Carolina’s history
- Represented of one of the nation's largest convenience store chains in connection with litigation to enforce environmental insurance coverage
- Due diligence investigations and compliance audits
- Real estate and business transactions, including contractual allocation of environmental risks and liabilities
- Enforcement action defense, including citations and civil penalty assessments
- Whistleblower defense and risk mitigation
- Internal investigations and crisis management due to workplace fatalities, industrial accidents, chemical and petroleum product spills and worker safety complaints
- Environmental and administrative litigation, including Superfund, RCRA, insurance coverage disputes and toxic torts
- Petroleum marketing and convenience store industry issues, including underground storage tank compliance and State Trust Fund eligibility
- Permitting, approvals and regulatory clarifications
- NPDES, Section 404/401 and storm water permitting; construction and development involving water rights, wetlands, streams, riparian buffers, shorelines and erosion control
- Air quality, including indoor air quality and mold issues, as well as mining and dam safety
- Brownfields redevelopment, site remediation and transfers of contaminated property and assets
- Legislative and agency advocacy before N.C. General Assembly, NCDENR, NCDOL-Occupational Safety and Health Division, and various administrative boards
- Monitor and analyze legislation for our clients, network with legislators and agency regulators and participate in government meetings and hearings
- Renewable energy and sustainability disclosure analysis and contract regulations
News & Publications
- Smith Anderson Recognized in 39 Practice Categories, Receives Two National Ratings in U.S. News and Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms”11.02.2017
- National Rankings Guide Recognizes Smith Anderson’s Environment and Real Estate Development Practices and Seven Attorneys06.23.2017
- Recognized Nationally for Best-in-Class Client Service, Smith Anderson is Named to the BTI Client Service A-Team11.30.2016
- U.S. News and Best Lawyers® Recognizes Smith Anderson in 38 Practice Categories, Awards Firm Two National Ratings11.01.2016
- Smith Anderson’s Real Estate Development Team Recognized as Among the Best in North Carolina by 2016 “Best Law Firms”08.26.2016
- 2017 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Recognizes 62 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.15.2016
- 2016 U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” Recognizes Smith Anderson in 38 Practice Categories and Awards a National Rating11.02.2015
- 2016 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Lists 60 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.17.2015
- Christopher Smith Chosen as a recipient of North Carolina Lawyers Weekly’s 2014 “Leaders in Law” Award08.22.2014
- Smith Anderson Honored with 2013 ‘Best Law Firms’ Rankings by U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers
- Smith Anderson Announces 49 of its Firm Lawyers are Named a “Best Lawyer” by The Best Lawyers in America® 201308.29.2012
- Smith Anderson Lawyers Speak at N.C. Bar Association’s Environment, Energy and Natural Resources Law Section Annual Meeting04.24.2009
- 06.08.2015Publication: Material Handling & Logistics (MH&L)
- 04.23.2015Construction Executive
- Business North Carolina, 2011 Law Journal
- “2010 North Carolina Construction Law Deskbook,” Environmental Law Chapter
- North Carolina MGM News, August 2010, Vol. 21, No. 3
- Creatures as Creative2006Environmental Ethics
- Author, “Unwritten Title Transfers” and “Water Boundaries: What Are Your Rights and Liabilities?”10.17.2002Boundary Law in North Carolina, National Business Institute
- Introduction to Biotech: Environmental, Health & Safety Laws Commonly Affecting the Biotechnology Industry05.16.2002
Events & Webinars
2016 Closed Transactions
2016 Closed Transactions
Since January 2016, Smith Anderson has advised clients in more than 300 transactions representing approximately $30 billion in value, including mergers, acquisitions and divestitures; real estate development and construction; life sciences and health care; technology and intellectual property; debt finance; private equity and mezzanine finance; initial public offerings; growth companies and venture capital; and fund formation. The following provides a comprehensive overview of some of our clients' key business transactions in 2016. Highlights include:
- Over 60 Mergers, Acquisitions and Public Offerings totaling approximately $22 billion, including the representation of Quintiles in its merger with IMS Health Holdings.
- Over 60 Life Sciences and Health Care transactions, including an immuno-oncology partnership worth up to $1.6 billion for genome editing company Precision BioSciences.
- Over 70 Debt Finance and more than 50 Private Equity and Mezzanine Finance transactions totaling more than $4 billion.
- Over 100 Real Estate and Construction matters totaling more than $2 billion.
- Over 60 Technology and Intellectual Property transactions totaling more than $3 billion, including the representation of Southern Company and PowerSecure, Inc. in their strategic alliance with Bloom Energy Corporation.
Our firm is fortunate to have worked on a wide array of transactions with a diverse group of clients. CLICK HERE to expand the image below, which lists some of our clients and their business transactions in 2016.