We are a leading North Carolina law firm for borrower representation in leveraged finance. Our finance attorneys advise businesses, nonprofits and government entities on sophisticated financings and credit facilities, including syndicated bank loans, club deals, high yield debt, mezzanine financings, exchange offers, convertible debt, municipal bonds and related interest rate swaps or other hedging arrangements. Lawyers in our Debt Finance practice also have a long history of representing banks and other lenders in similar transactions. Our representation of borrowers and lenders often involves senior secured or revolving credit facilities, including asset-based loans (ABL), equipment financing, senior or subordinated debt, and intercreditor arrangements. We assist with transactions ranging from early stage borrowing to leveraged buyouts to acquisition financing.
Headquartered in Raleigh, Smith Anderson regularly acts as the primary counsel in regional, national and international debt transactions. Our clients operate in industries ranging from manufacturing to distribution, life sciences, health care, technology, telecommunications, media and energy. For lenders, we regularly handle middle market transactions, both in the Research Triangle area and throughout our region.
Our legal advice is grounded in exceptional national and international debt finance experience. Our team includes finance lawyers with extensive Wall Street experience, and we have been engaged on some of the largest debt finance transactions for companies in North Carolina and our region. In recent Law Firm League Tables published by Thomson Reuters LPC, Smith Anderson has been the only North Carolina-based law firm to place within the top 30 firms in the nation for volume and number of borrower-side transactions.
Chambers USA, one of the leading ranking agencies for law firms and lawyers, has ranked our Debt and Finance practice and its lawyers as among the best in North Carolina. Additionally, through its annual “Best Law Firms” ranking, U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers® have recognized Smith Anderson as a metropolitan “Tier 1” law firm in Banking and Finance Law every year since 2011. Several of our finance lawyers also have received recognition from clients and peers in The Best Lawyers in America© and North Carolina Super Lawyers.
- Secured and unsecured bank lending
- Syndicated lending and club deals
- Asset-based lending (ABL)
- High yield notes and bonds
- Venture and mezzanine investments
- Equipment financing
- Leveraged buyout and acquisition financing
- Commercial real estate lending, including construction and permanent financing
- Public finance transactions, including IRBs and revenue bonds
- Letters of credit
- Interest rate swaps and other hedging transactions
- Workouts and reorganizations
- Represented a 50% PE-owned provider of bone healing technology in its $215 million first and second lien credit facilities, used to refinance debt relating to the spin-off that formed the company
- Represented a provider of bone healing technology in its $25 million multicurrency revolving credit facility involving $160 million subordinated shareholder note, Dutch co-borrower and pledge of Jersey equity
- Represented an Italian-owned U.S. manufacturer in multiple ABL credit facilities since 2006, ranging from $12 million to $27 million
- Represented the world's largest contract research organization (with significant PE ownership) in a series of syndicated loan financings and high yield note offerings, including in connection with its going-private transaction and subsequent IPO, most recently culminating in a $1.7 billion senior secured revolving and term loan credit facility and an $800 million offering of senior notes
- Represented a multinational manufacturer and supplier to the papermaking industry in a $280 million multicurrency senior secured credit facility, secured by collateral in eight countries, and $240 million senior notes offering
- Represented a provider of lighting-class LEDs and semiconductor solutions in a series of financings, most recently a $500 million revolving credit facility secured by non-U.S. equity and other collateral
- Represented a publicly held convenience store chain in its primary financing transactions for almost 20 years, most recently in a simultaneous $480 million senior secured credit facility and $250 million senior notes offering
- Represented a clinical technology provider in a going-private transaction involving simultaneous $445 million senior secured credit facilities and $250 million senior notes offering
- Represented a holding company in a dividend recapitalization utilizing a $300 million secured term loan
- Represented a communications and real estate company in its $100 million corporate credit facility
- Represented an agricultural equipment company in its $26 million ABL credit facility
- 2017 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Recognizes 62 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s HistoryAugust 15, 2016
- June 1, 2016
- March 11, 2016
- 2016 U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” Recognizes Smith Anderson in 38 Practice Categories and Awards a National RatingNovember 2, 2015
- 2016 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Lists 60 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s HistoryAugust 17, 2015
- June 2, 2015
- April 22, 2015
- April 16, 2015
- January 23, 2015
- November 5, 2014
- August 18, 2014
- June 23, 2014
- May 28, 2014
- May 21, 2014
- April 25, 2014
- March 31, 2014
- Governor Pat McCrory appoints Jeff Truitt to Serve as Member of the North Carolina State Board of Certified Public Accountant ExaminersFebruary 21, 2014
- January 30, 2014
- November 1, 2013
- July 11, 2013
- March 19, 2013
- March 15, 2013
- March 14, 2013
- August 15, 2012
- April 6, 2012
- January 29, 2016
Since January 2015, Smith Anderson has advised clients in more than 300 transactions representing approximately $11 billion in value, including mergers, acquisitions and divestitures; real estate development and construction; life sciences and health care; technology and intellectual property; debt finance; private equity and mezzanine finance; initial public offerings; growth companies and venture capital; and fund formation. The following provides a comprehensive overview of some of our clients' key closed business transactions in 2015. Highlights include:
- Over 60 mergers, acquisitions and securities offerings totaling approximately $4 billion, including the first qualified offering under new Regulation A for Groundfloor Finance, the first multi-state real estate peer-to-peer micro-lending platform for non-accredited investors.
- Over 60 life sciences and health care transactions and 40 information and materials technology transactions totaling in excess of $4 billion, including Quintiles/Quest global joint venture in the creation of Q2 Solutions with initial annual revenues of nearly $600 million.
- Over 100 real estate and construction matters totaling in excess of $2 billion, including the expansions at North Hills by Kane Realty Corporation.
- Over 80 senior and mezzanine debt financing transactions totaling in excess of $4 billion.
- 2016 SPOTLIGHT DEAL: Lead counsel in a worldwide immuno-oncology partnership worth up to $1.6 billion for genome editing company Precision BioSciences.
Our firm is fortunate to have worked on a wide array of transactions with a diverse group of clients. CLICK HERE to expand the image below, which lists some of our clients and their business transactions completed in 2015.