With the global surge in digital technologies, the amount of data has exploded. Social media, mobile devices, geo-location tracking and cloud-based technologies are only a few of the ways that data is being collected and shared in all industries. At the same time, a growing patchwork of laws restricts the way data assets can be used, and regulates their protection. Understanding this ever-changing landscape is critical for companies to maximize the benefits of critical data assets, without running afoul of the applicable regulatory scheme.
Lawyers in our Data Use, Privacy and Security practice use a multi-disciplinary approach to provide tailored and strategic data counsel for businesses in all industries. Our expertise merges regulatory compliance, technology law and licensing, commercial contracting and dispute management, yielding our unique ability to advise clients on all aspects of data management and commercialization. For firsthand data breach experience of our clients' perspectives, view our DATA BREACH STRATEGIES.
We provide counsel in areas such as policies and procedures, data breach response, investigations, disputes, risk management and corporate transactions that involve data transfer. We handle cutting-edge collaborations and strategic alliances involving the license and exchange of identifiable and de-identified data assets and analytics applications. As businesses increasingly move into digitized markets, we provide counsel for online business models involving issues such as geo-location and mobile device tracking.
Because several of our team members have in-house counsel experience, when data privacy or security issues arise we understand our clients’ perspective particularly well. We help them navigate this era of data and digitization with a pragmatic, businesses-focused approach.
We advise a wide range of local, regional, national and international clients in industries such as:
- Software, data and cloud computing services
- Internet and e-commerce
- Marketing and advertising
- Health care, life science and pharmaceutical services
- Social media and communications
- Financial services
- Manufacturers and retailers
Our multi-disciplinary team of lawyers has a thorough understanding of the substantive areas that typically underlie such issues, including Intellectual Property; Technology; Health Care; Employment, Labor & Human Resources; Corporate and Securities; and Litigation. We leverage our expertise to provide tailored and practical advice on data privacy requirements, including the HIPAA Privacy Rule; the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Privacy Rule; marketing laws; the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA); mobile device and tracking laws; the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA); and the Fair and Accurate Credit Transaction Act (FACTA), as well as information security requirements in the HIPAA Security Rule; the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Safeguards Rule; the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard; state security laws; corporate governance legislation and regulations; and unfair business practices law (FTC Act, Section 5).
- Assist with data breach investigation and response
- Advise on de-identifying data assets
- Provide best practices and policies for compliance with data-related laws and regulations
- Provide data-driven business model analysis and strategy
- Address employee privacy issues and employee nondisclosure obligations for confidential and proprietary information
- Review and manage claims under cyber insurance policies
- Strategic collaborations involving licensing of data and databases, and the creation of data mining and analytics tools
- Creation and licensing of digital content
- Addressing privacy, security and data transfer and protection issues in mergers, acquisitions and other corporate transactions
- Outsourcing and procurement of technology and complex services, including data hosting and processing
- Structuring and contracting for health information exchange
- Trade secret theft
- Commercial business to business contract disputes
- Risk management of data and security breach scenarios
- Prosecuting and defending claims stemming from data and security breaches
News & Publications
- WUNC-TV’s “Bottom Line” Interviews Joe Dickinson on Cybersecurity and What Businesses Should be DoingWUNC-TV, “Bottom Line”, 09.15.2017
- Recognized Nationally for Best-in-Class Client Service, Smith Anderson is Named to the BTI Client Service A-Team11.30.2016
- WRAL News, 12.21.2015
- Smith Anderson’s Executive Roundtable Series Addresses How Companies can Prepare for and Respond to a Data Breach07.11.2014
- SafeguardingBusiness.com Serves as Resource for Businesses Looking to Better Protect Their Innovation and Information04.15.2014
- Jackson Moore Speaks on Government Contracting to the Fort Bragg Post of the Society of American Military Engineers12.18.2013
- Alicia Gilleskie Serves as Special Guest Speaker in a Webinar Presentation with California-based Check Point Software Technologies and RTP-based Secure Enterprise Computing05.20.2010
- Sons of Cyberlock: Recent Decisions Underscore Challenges in Drafting Enforceable Federal Contracting Teaming Agreements07.13.2016
- 05.31.2015Practical Law™ Labor & Employment
- 11.27.2013Alicia Gilleskie and Mary Pat Sullivan
Events & Webinars
- Proximity Hotel | Greensboro, N.C., 03.18.2015
- Research Triangle Park Headquarters, 01.21.2015
- Capital City Chop House, Morrisville, 12.03.2014
- The Umstead (Ballroom 1): 100 Woodland Pond Drive, Cary, N.C. 27513, 06.2013
2016 Closed Transactions
2016 Closed Transactions
Since January 2016, Smith Anderson has advised clients in more than 300 transactions representing approximately $30 billion in value, including mergers, acquisitions and divestitures; real estate development and construction; life sciences and health care; technology and intellectual property; debt finance; private equity and mezzanine finance; initial public offerings; growth companies and venture capital; and fund formation. The following provides a comprehensive overview of some of our clients' key business transactions in 2016. Highlights include:
- Over 60 Mergers, Acquisitions and Public Offerings totaling approximately $22 billion, including the representation of Quintiles in its merger with IMS Health Holdings.
- Over 60 Life Sciences and Health Care transactions, including an immuno-oncology partnership worth up to $1.6 billion for genome editing company Precision BioSciences.
- Over 70 Debt Finance and more than 50 Private Equity and Mezzanine Finance transactions totaling more than $4 billion.
- Over 100 Real Estate and Construction matters totaling more than $2 billion.
- Over 60 Technology and Intellectual Property transactions totaling more than $3 billion, including the representation of Southern Company and PowerSecure, Inc. in their strategic alliance with Bloom Energy Corporation.
Our firm is fortunate to have worked on a wide array of transactions with a diverse group of clients. CLICK HERE to expand the image below, which lists some of our clients and their business transactions in 2016.