Our Commercial Real Estate group offers legal expertise and business counseling to help you buy, sell, finance, lease and develop commercial property. Our real estate practice and its lawyers have been consistently recognized in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, The Best Lawyers in America®, Super Lawyers®, U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” and Benchmark Litigation.
With the benefit of our project-financing experience and our Construction and Land Use teams, we structure stand-alone and multistate projects and assist longstanding corporate clients with a myriad of real estate matters. We represent developers, investors, lenders, landlords and tenants in office, industrial and retail deals.
We have strong relationships with local government officials, lenders, appraisers, surveyors, title insurers and brokers. We’re institutional investors, especially known for our expertise in financing deals, including construction financing; permanent financing; securitized loans; sale/leaseback transactions; joint ventures; like-kind exchanges; property assemblages and title examinations. In addition, we have experience in counseling clients through the complexities of developing and constructing office buildings, retail centers, mixed-use developments, distribution centers, industrial plants, medical facilities and residential developments. We also advise municipal and private sector clients in the formation and management of large and complex public-private joint ventures.
If your commercial real estate project or financing requires additional legal services, you need look no further than our Firm. As a full-service business law firm, we offer expertise in such related fields as Private Equity, Mezzanine Finance, Debt Finance, Tax, Bankruptcy, Workouts and Creditors' Rights, Energy, Environmental, OSHA, and Real Estate Litigation. In whatever capacity you work with our firm, you will soon understand that our most important construction project is building a relationship of trust with you.
- Structuring, financing, investigating and completing a wide variety of real estate acquisitions and dispositions
- Experience in the development and construction of a variety of property types, including office buildings, retail and mixed-use developments, distribution centers, condominium projects, industrial plants, hotels, residential developments, medical and hospital facilities
- Advise municipal and private sector clients in the formation and management of public/private joint ventures
- Negotiation of warehouse, retail, office and health science leases on behalf of landlords and tenants
- Representation of lenders and borrowers in connection with construction and permanent financing for acquisition, development and construction
- Representation of sellers and buyers of improved and unimproved real estate
- Representation of developer of signature Charlotte office tower in negotiation of anchor lease and major tenant leases
- Representation of large southeastern convenience store company in acquisitions of numerous convenience store businesses throughout the southeast
- Representation of national banks in connection with acquisition, development and construction financing
- Representation of insurance companies in connection with permanent financing
- Representation of major contract research organization in lease negotiations throughout the world
- Representation of large restaurant franchisee in acquisition and financing of existing restaurants and sites for development of new restaurants
- Representation of major restaurant industry food and merchandise distributor in negotiation of warehouse leases throughout the United States
- Representation of shopping center owner in connection with refinancing of debt on numerous shopping center properties in Research Triangle Park region
- Representation of national bank in sale/leaseback of 100 branch bank sites in the southeast
- Smith Anderson’s Real Estate Development Team Recognized as Among the Best in North Carolina by 2016 “Best Law Firms”August 26, 2016
- 2017 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Recognizes 62 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s HistoryAugust 15, 2016
- June 20, 2016
- June 1, 2016
- May 10, 2016
- March 11, 2016
- 2016 U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” Recognizes Smith Anderson in 38 Practice Categories and Awards a National RatingNovember 2, 2015
- June 2, 2015
- May 20, 2015
- April 22, 2015
- February 11, 2015
- January 23, 2015
- December 11, 2014
- November 5, 2014
- August 18, 2014
- July 10, 2014
- Smith Anderson Assists Kimco Realty Corporation with Two Acquisitions in North Carolina, Including One of the Largest Retail Centers in the TriangleJuly 10, 2014
- April 25, 2014
- March 20, 2014
- Sharita Whitaker Offers Welcoming Remarks at the NCBA Minority Law Student and Attorney Meet and GreetOctober 31, 2013
- May 2, 2013
- April 22, 2013
- Wayne Maiorano Speaks to the North Carolina Chapter of the CCIM on Risks and Returns in Commercial InvestmentsMarch 27, 2013
- March 27, 2013
- March 26, 2013
- May 31, 2012
- Scott Miskimon, Wayne Maiorano and Toby Coleman Author Article in the North Carolina Bar Association’s Change Order PublicationMay 25, 2012
- April 6, 2012
- January 31, 2012
- November 2, 2011
- Francis Bagbey Named Chair of the Development Committee of the North Carolina Bar Association FoundationJune 30, 2011
- June 14, 2011
- Matt Rhoad to Serve on the Section Council of the Zoning, Planning, and Land Use Section of the NCBAApril 15, 2011
- May 6, 2010
- January 5, 2010
- February 4, 2009
- September 19, 2016
- March 2015
- May 14, 2014
- November 2012Printed in Change Order, reprinted in Disclosure Statement, February 2013 (publications of the Construction and Bankruptcy Sections of the North Carolina Bar Association respectively)
- May 11, 2012
- May 10, 2010
- Author, “Unwritten Title Transfers” and “Water Boundaries: What Are Your Rights and Liabilities?”October 17, 2002Boundary Law in North Carolina, National Business Institute
Since January 2015, Smith Anderson has advised clients in more than 300 transactions representing approximately $11 billion in value, including mergers, acquisitions and divestitures; real estate development and construction; life sciences and health care; technology and intellectual property; debt finance; private equity and mezzanine finance; initial public offerings; growth companies and venture capital; and fund formation. The following provides a comprehensive overview of some of our clients' key closed business transactions in 2015. Highlights include:
- Over 60 mergers, acquisitions and securities offerings totaling approximately $4 billion, including the first qualified offering under new Regulation A for Groundfloor Finance, the first multi-state real estate peer-to-peer micro-lending platform for non-accredited investors.
- Over 60 life sciences and health care transactions and 40 information and materials technology transactions totaling in excess of $4 billion, including Quintiles/Quest global joint venture in the creation of Q2 Solutions with initial annual revenues of nearly $600 million.
- Over 100 real estate and construction matters totaling in excess of $2 billion, including the expansions at North Hills by Kane Realty Corporation.
- Over 80 senior and mezzanine debt financing transactions totaling in excess of $4 billion.
- 2016 SPOTLIGHT DEAL: Lead counsel in a worldwide immuno-oncology partnership worth up to $1.6 billion for genome editing company Precision BioSciences.
Our firm is fortunate to have worked on a wide array of transactions with a diverse group of clients. CLICK HERE to expand the image below, which lists some of our clients and their business transactions completed in 2015.