When our clients need to appeal or defend trial court rulings, they don’t have far to go – and neither do we. Headquartered on the same block as the North Carolina Court of Appeals and just a block from the Supreme Court of North Carolina, we know these courts well. We also handle cases before the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. Over decades of practice in our state and federal appellate courts, we have built a reputation for the integrity of our advocacy, the strength of our commitment to clients and the high quality of our work.
Our experience, knowledge and judgment benefit you when we seek to defend a favorable judgment on appeal, reverse an unjust trial outcome, or otherwise protect your interests before an appellate court. From securities and corporate litigation to product liability and medical malpractice appeals, we support all of our Firm’s litigation practice areas. We have a track record of success in all aspects of the appellate process, from filing friend-of-the-court briefs to securing a unanimous appellate ruling that upheld a client’s state-record $37 million verdict. In another matter, we participated in a case before the Supreme Court of the United States that resulted in the adoption of a landmark interpretation of certain requirements of the Fair Labor Standards Act, resolving not only our client’s case, but more than 90 similar lawsuits across the nation.
Our practice spans representation on appeal of trial court and administrative agency proceedings. Our team consists of experienced litigators and former judicial clerks.
- Preparing appellate briefs and records on appeal
- Presenting oral arguments before appellate courts
- Consultation on appellate issues
- Consultation at the trial level to preserve appellate issues, including preparing and objecting to jury instructions
- Preparing “friend of the court” briefs
- Extraordinary writs
News & Publications
- Recognized Nationally for Best-in-Class Client Service, Smith Anderson is Named to the BTI Client Service A-Team11.30.2016
- 2016 U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” Recognizes Smith Anderson in 38 Practice Categories and Awards a National Rating11.02.2015
- Christopher Smith Chosen as a recipient of North Carolina Lawyers Weekly’s 2014 “Leaders in Law” Award08.22.2014
- Robert E. Desmond Selected to Serve as Reporter for the North Carolina Pattern Jury Instructions Civil Law Subcommittee08.06.2014
- Mike Weddington Appointed to North Carolina Bar Association Judicial Performance Evaluation Committee07.24.2014
- Governor McCrory, Mike Mitchell and the North Carolina Business Committee for Education Announce the Teachers @ Work Initiative11.15.2013
- Mike Mitchell Named Vice Chair of Board of Directors for North Carolina Business Committee for Education06.28.2013
- Christopher Smith Elected Executive Vice-President of the North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys06.23.2010
- A Selected Bibliography of North Carolina Practice Materials For Lawyers and Other Legal Professionals04.02.2004
- A Selected Bibliography of North Carolina Practice Materials For Lawyers and Other Legal Professionals06.14.2002