For more than 25 years, Smith Anderson has worked side by side with the industry pioneers who have established North Carolina's Research Triangle area as an internationally-recognized center of AgBiotech innovation. Smith Anderson’s AgBiotech Team was pleased to lead the first ever AgBiotech Workshop: Navigating the Big Six (Soon to be Five…or Fewer) at the 2016 CED Life Science Conference on March 1st at the Raleigh Convention Center.
“The Big Six” - BASF, Bayer CropScience, Dow, DuPont/Pioneer, Monsanto, and Syngenta - are the dominant global agri-business companies with which nearly all emerging agricultural biotechnology companies seek to build and scale through collaboration. As the Big Six enter into a period of industry consolidation and acquisitions, changing dynamics will affect emerging companies who wish to collaborate with the Big Six.
The workshop covered:
- How AgBio companies successfully position themselves to engage with the Big Six from an investment perspective, as a strategic partner and for potential acquisition.
- The changing landscape in Agribusiness and what it means for AgBiotech entrepreneurs.
- Philip Benfey, Co-Founder, Hi-Fidelity Genetics and GrassRoots Biotechnology; HHMI Investigator, Duke University
- Dan Tomso, Chief Scientific Officer, AgBiome; ex-Bayer CropScience and Athenix Corp.
- Andy Renz, most recently VP of Business Development, Benson Hill Biosystems; ex-BASF
- Tim Zurliene, Global Lead, Trait Management and Licensing, Bayer CropScience
Click on the thumbnails below to learn more about our AgBiotech practice.