AA Contact info
Bar & Court Admissions
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States District Court, Eastern District of North Carolina
- All North Carolina State Courts
University of North Carolina, J.D., with honors, 1985
Davidson College, B.A. 1979
Bill Barnett practices primarily in the areas of insurance, administrative and governmental affairs, and sports law.
He regularly represents insurers, insurance holding companies, HMOs and related entities in formation, licensing and regulatory compliance matters before the North Carolina Department of Insurance. He also advises clients concerning contract and policy negotiations, and form and rate filings and approvals; regulatory aspects of mergers, acquisitions, and other Holding Company Act transactions and filings; discontinuation of coverage issues; reinsurance and assumption reinsurance; market conduct, financial and other examinations; and agent licensing, appointment and conduct questions.
Before joining Smith Anderson, Bill was a Staff Assistant to United States Senator Sam Nunn from 1980-82. He is active in youth, charitable and church organizations, including the Capital Area Soccer League, where he served as Chair and Vice Chair from 2002-2008. He has experience working with sports leagues, governing bodies, risk management and major events.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Health Law Section Council (1996-1999)
- Wake County Bar Association
- North Carolina Department of Insurance Regulatory Review Task Force (2000)
- Capital Area Soccer League, Chairman, Vice Chairman, Divisional Director, Coach (1997-2012)
- Davidson Alumni Admissions Program - Raleigh Area Chairman (1987-1992)
- Davidson Athletic Foundation, Director (2010 - Present)
- Greater Raleigh Sports Council (2009 - Present)
- Ravenscroft Athletic Club, Treasurer (2010-2012)
- White Memorial Presbyterian Church, Deacon (2000-2006)
Honors & Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rated
- North Carolina Youth Soccer Association "Director of the Year," 2009
- CASL "Challenge Coach of the Year," 2002
- CASL "Volunteer of the Year," 2000
- Outside counsel in the formation and initial licensing of North Carolina domiciled property and casualty insurance companies, including all required regulatory approvals
- Represented major property and casualty insurers in significant, targeted regulatory compliance examinations by the North Carolina Department of Insurance
- Represented insurance and HMO holding companies in multiple mergers, acquisitions and other change of control transactions, including required regulatory filings and approvals incident thereto
- Outside counsel to residual property insurance markets of last resort in reinsurance, catastrophe bond and general counsel matters
- Represented prominent North Carolina sports organization in executive compensation, risk management, facilities leasing, governing bodies and marketing endeavors
- Represented multiple life/health and property/casualty insurers in market conduct examinations and other regulatory compliance matters
Mr. Barnett’s publications include “Acquisitions of Health Insurers and HMOs,” and “Formation and Licensing of HMOs in North Carolina,” which were published in Prognosis, the newsletter of the NCBA’s Health Law Section and the NC Society of Health Care Attorneys (November, 2000, and October, 1994, respectively); “Recent North Carolina Regulatory Developments Affecting Managed Care Companies,” which he presented at The Changing Face of Health Care Delivery, an NC Society of Health Care Attorneys seminar (October, 1996); and “The Evolving Effect of Insurance Regulation on Health Care,” which he presented at the NCBA Health Law Section’s Annual Meeting (April, 2000).