AA Contact info
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina
University of North Carolina School of Law, J.D., with highest honors, 2009
East Tennessee State University, B.A., English, summa cum laude, 2004
Katherine Young Biegler focuses her practice in the areas of employee benefits, compensation and estate planning. Within these areas, she provides representation with respect to retirement plans, welfare plans and equity-based compensation, as well as individual tax planning, and trusts and estates.
Katherine’s employee benefits work includes assisting employers with the design, administration and correction of qualified retirement plans, 403(b) arrangements, nonqualified deferred compensation programs, and welfare benefit plans. She also assists with the review of employee benefits and compensation-related issues in the transaction context and provides advice on benefits integration. Katherine’s experience designing and drafting short and long-term incentive plans includes advising employers with respect to complex 409A issues.
In addition to her employee benefits practice, Katherine assists individual clients with estate and asset planning, focusing on practical and tax-efficient lifetime and testamentary transfers, as well as planning techniques for retirement benefits.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association
- President, North Carolina Trailblazers Women’s Hockey Association, Inc.
- Provided assistance to tax-exempt entities with respect to 403(b) plan compliance
- Provided assistance with qualified plan corrections under the IRS corrections program, including making submissions under the Voluntary Correction Program and representing a qualified plan under audit with the IRS
- Provided assistance with representation before the DOL and the IRS, including with respect to annual reports and requests for determination letters
- Provided assistance to plan administrator with respect to operation of qualified retirement plan, including assisting with appropriate application of plan's compensation definition to various payments and benefits for a global specialty pharmaceutical company
- Provided assistance with ERISA welfare plan compliance, including establishment and maintenance of a wrap arrangement and component welfare benefit plans
- Assisted with the design and drafting of complex long-term incentive plans, including analysis of related 409A issues
- Represented clients with respect to asset protection and estate planning
- Smith Anderson Represents General Parts International in $2.04 Billion Merger with Advance Auto PartsMarch 18, 2014
- December 16, 2013
- Smith Anderson Attorney Katherine Young Biegler Graduates from North Carolina Bar Association’s Leadership AcademyJuly 17, 2012
- February 2, 2012
- August 31, 2011
- Craig Wheaton and Katherine Young Biegler Present on Legal Developments in ERISA Reporting and DisclosureMay 24, 2011
- October 24, 2013
- September 19, 2013
- Reminder: January 31, 2013 Deadline for Employers to Report 2012 Incentive Stock Option (ISO) Exercises and Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP) TransfersJanuary 24, 2013
- Smith Anderson’s 21st Annual Employment Law Update, Cary, N.C.November 2013
- "Benefits JEOPARDY!," Smith Anderson’s 20th Annual Employment Law Update, Cary, N.C.November 2012
- "Finding and Fixing Common Benefit Plan Errors," Smith Anderson’s 19th Annual Employment Law Update, Cary, N.C.November 2011
- Presenter, DOMA and Your Benefit Plans, Smith Anderson Live Webinar, March 2014