AA Contact info
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of North Carolina
- All State Courts in North Carolina
Duke University Law School, J.D., cum laude, 2006
Duke University, B.A., cum laude, 1996
John Jo joined Smith Anderson in October 2006 after graduating with honors from Duke University Law School. He concentrates his practice in business-related litigation, representing clients in a variety of industries in matters such as contract disputes, commercial torts, insurance coverage and shareholder disputes.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Appointed Council member, Litigation Section (Present)
- Member, Insurance Law Section
- Wake County Bar Association
- NC Healthy Start Foundation
- Member, Board of Directors
- Chair, Governance Committee
- Volunteer Lawyers Program, Legal Aid of North Carolina
- Volunteer Mentor, Boys and Girls Club of America (2012-2013)
Honors & Awards
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Rising Star (2012-2016)
- Hot List - Southern Region, Lawyers of Color, 2014
- Duke Law School Moot Court Board
- Notes Editor, Law and Contemporary Problems
- Defended soft drink bottler against claims for breach of an alleged long-term requirements contract brought by a cooperative of soft drink bottlers. The case was resolved by confidential settlement after a week-long trial in federal court for the District of South Carolina.
- Successfully defended lender in an action brought by guarantor on a series of construction and business loans in default, including alleged claims for breach of fiduciary duty, fraudulent concealment, and unfair and deceptive trade practices arising from lender’s alleged failure to uncover and disclose embezzlement by member of borrower. Court’s dismissal of guarantor’s lawsuit was affirmed by the North Carolina Court of Appeals.
- Represented corporate insured in arbitration commenced by workers’ compensation carrier, seeking to collect significant disputed premiums under expired policies.
- Successfully defended survey research organization from claim alleging violation of the Telemarketing Sales Rule. Dismissal was affirmed by the North Carolina Court of Appeals.
- Represented a major convenience store chain in dispute with pollution liability carriers regarding coverage for costs to clean up environmental contamination at numerous sites.
- January 22, 2016
- May 20, 2015
- January 2, 2015
- June 26, 2014
- May 19, 2014
- April 25, 2014
- SafeguardingBusiness.com Serves as Resource for Businesses Looking to Better Protect Their Innovation and InformationApril 15, 2014
- January 30, 2014
- January 23, 2013
- January 25, 2012
- May 29, 2015
- February 16, 2015
- August 13, 2014
- Fourth Circuit Holds that Motor Carrier has No Claim Under Federal Law Against Shipper for Unpaid Freight ChargesNovember 14, 2013
- March 4, 2010
- Author, New ISO Forms for CGL Policies Seek to Exclude Coverage for Data Breaches, NC Bar Association Insurance Law Section Newsletter, Vol. II, No. 1, January 2015
- Author, Proximate Cause Theory Applied to Determine Number of Occurrences, Case Note, ABA Section of Litigation, Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee Website, March 11, 2013
- Author, Broker Owed No Duty to Explain Policy Terms to Insured, Case Note, ABA Section of Litigation, Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee Website, January 9, 2013
- Panelist, "Risks, Costs, Disputes and Litigation," NC Chamber and U.S. Chamber of Commerce's 2015 Cybersecurity Conference, Durham, N.C.December 2015
- Co-Presenter, "The Lifecycle of an Insurance Claim (With a Focus on D&O Insurance)," Smith Anderson's Executive Roundtable Series: Session I, RTP, N.C.March 2015
- Presenter, "You will be Hacked (If you Haven't Already)...," Joint Event Presented by The Research Triangle Park, Durham Chamber of Commerce and Smith Anderson, RTP, N.C.January 2015
- Panelist, "It's 2014 - You Will Be Hacked!," Joint Event Presented by The Research Triangle Park, Durham Chamber of Commerce and Smith Anderson, RTP, N.C.March 2014